Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 5:31:12 PM EDT
Visiting my mom's the other day, she ask me why I don't  take those two other guns in the case that belonged to my dad (who recently passed away). What guns? I say. Turns out there were two shotgun's tucked away. One's a Stevens Model 59A /.410 in great shape, and the other is a 12-gauge SKB which is made in Japan and named after the samurai family Sakaba.

The SKB is kind of cool, but I'm really interested in the Stevens .410 The choke is not marked, so I'm curious what the choke is set for, and how to determine its age

Any idea's?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Most .410s are full choke.

Sorry about your dad, lost mine about 3 years ago, still hurts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine about a year ago. But I knew what all his guns were, because I had given them to him over the years for father's day, birthdays etc <G>.

Give us some more details on the SKB?  I've got a couple of SKB  SXS shotguns that are extremely nice. My youngest also has an SKB 20 guage pump that is a very nice gun. SKB made a sweet autoloader, I think it was the model 900?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear about your dad.  I lost mine fourteen years ago and it still hurts.

As for the choke, can you measure the inside diameter with a caliper?  I am sure there are choke size charts around for 410.
Or one could pattern it and count out the holes to figure %-ages.  In fact its prolly the more accurate way to go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Give us some more details on the SKB?  I've got a couple of SKB  SXS shotguns that are extremely nice. My youngest also has an SKB 20 guage pump that is a very nice gun. SKB made a sweet autoloader, I think it was the model 900?

From the little research that I did do, some of the SKB's are fairly expensive, especially the autoloaders. Although this one is pretty nice, it doesn't rate as high as the other models. This particular one is a model M-7300 3" pump. It is light weight and appears to be manufactured very well. Nice recoil pad on the stock and has a flourescent bead front sight. I have no idea of its age.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a savage 24 which was a stevens24/410 by design,but in researching it found out that savage bought stevens out in the fiftys!!!

So that shoukd give you an idea of when yours was made(early fiftys or earlier)!

Codolences  Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top