Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 9:12:36 PM EDT
Yes, I'm very new to shotguns as can be seen in my posts.  My main purpose of having a shotgun is for HD as well as range shooting fun & practice, and maybe an umpcomming 3 gun match.

Before I ever got a shotgun, I understood that there were varying sizes of shot and that all these different sizes afford the shooter different ranges as well as sizes of targes.

I'm not a hunter, although I'm being tempted to go hunting with a proficient hunter friend of mine.  I've always thought though that even in hunting, the key is accurate shot placement and it would seem to me that the better shooter wouldn't require so many projectiles out of a shell.  I haven't yet grasped the concept of shooting birds with a shotgun, when you can just as well shoot them with a well aimed/placed shot with a single rifle bullet.  It seems to me it's almost like cheating, although I know that I know nothing about this subject (which is why I'm starting this post).  Is it not possible to hunt for various different game types using rifles that shoot single solid projectiles, or are shotguns used to simply make it easiser.  If so, doesn't that leave a lot of shot pieces tha miss the target and thus go to waste?  Again... I reitterate that I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HUNTING.  Why not equip a rifle with a good scope and the right ammo and get good results that way?  I can feel that I'm totally missing the point in this matter and hope that someone can provide me a qualified and competent answer to this question.  

Why, for expample, can't I go hunting with my M4 and a good scope?  I don't know, but I think I could do a pretty good job with it.  Am I wrong?  I have no idea seeing as I've never gone hunting with it (yet)

Thanks for any clarification on this subject for me
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see you shoot a bird with a scoped M4!
BTW, it's illegal in most states (maybe federal?) to shoot birds on the ground, except turkeys, which are often shot with rifles or archery.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Go out and try shooting some clay pigions (I know you're in-expierianced with a shotgun), you'll quickly realize how diffacult it is to hit one even with a scatter gun!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it's illegal in most states (maybe federal?) to shoot birds on the ground, except turkeys, which are often shot with rifles or archery.

I did not know that. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Don't laugh... years ago, and I do mean years ago,  I shot a blackbird that was about 30 feet up in the air, flying towards me.  I was using an HK 93 with a 4x scope.  The main body vaporized leaving the wings intact and "helicoptering" to earth.  Was an "easy" shot as the bird was flying slow and right at/over me, no "skill" involved.

I know, I know, what a F#@Ked up thing to do................  I'm much more wiser and responsible now .
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top