Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 4:36:25 PM EDT
I currently have a late 60's Mossberg 500. I have cut the barrel down to 18.5 inches and put a HiViz sight on it. I was wondering what do you guys think would be better for a SHTF Shotty a Remington 870 Marine Magnum, 1300 Winchester Defender or a Mossberg 500. I am trying to figure out what I want to do and I am looking for some kind of direction. I figured I would ask you guys for some helpful hints.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just add a  mag exstension and there you go SHTF gun.Choate
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Marine Mag,

It has the nickle coating to withstand the weather in a SHTF situation. You just don't know when and where you will be able to clean your weapon in a SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Whichever one you're the most proficient with would be my recommendation.

Personally, having owned all 3 brands, I like the Mossbergs for several reasons including cost and the ambidexterous safety mechanism.

My list of mods usually includes a side-saddle filled with more reduced-recoil buckshot and an elastic buttcuff shell holder filled with reduced-recoil slugs, a high-visibility white front bead sight, a Wolff +20% mag tube spring, a Choate hi-vis mag tube follower and a 1" shorter (cut down) stock fitted with a Pachmayr Decelerator Sporting Clays recoil pad.  (I like the Sporting Clays pad because has a slick insert on the heel to better "slide" up your shirt to your shoulder.)  I also usually stipple the grip area for better grip.

With the reduced-recoil loads and the Pachmayr pad my Mossys are real pussycats to shoot all day long.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
That nickel sure is Pimp!  

Mossberg offers a shiny gun too.  "Marinecoated", whatever that is.   They even offer orange furniture as an option for even more visibility.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#7]
pimp is pop
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Just use what U got unless U want another weapon for the collection.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
How big is your family?  Get one for each:

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmmmmm, do I detect something called an "FCAM" in there????
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well guys I went and got me a 20" barrel 870 express magnum with a factory installed +2 mag extension. Man I mean to tell ya I love this gun!!!!!! I could not be happier with my purchase. I think that I will get me a Specter sling, a Hi Viz follower , and a Mesa side saddle and it will be 100% perfect for a SHTF situation in my opinion. Thanks for the pointers guys.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well guys I went and got me a 20" barrel 870 express magnum with a factory installed +2 mag extension. Man I mean to tell ya I love this gun!!!!!! I could not be happier with my purchase. I think that I will get me a Specter sling, a Hi Viz follower , and a Mesa side saddle and it will be 100% perfect for a SHTF situation in my opinion. Thanks for the pointers guys.

Good for ya. Specter SOP great price this sling is great and it comes with a GG&G sling plate. OH and try one of these Hi-vis U will need to take of the bead to put it on but U will love it. The hi-vis that I have linked to (will not work) on a plain barrel only vent ribbed barrels.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The 870 is an awesome gun...I have a Win mod 120 bird gun and love it...just ask Dan357, it's a great gun.  I would either have to choose the 1300 Defender(1st) and the 870(2nd)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I just took my 870 wingmaster that I bought for $75(barrel cut down to 20") added a +3 extension(8 total) and put on a nice black synthetic stock and shazam  I will post pics.  Cost me $85 for the finished product.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Any well made, rugged shotgun will suit your needs.

I prefer the the Benelli Nova myself.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/MadProfessor1775/novashells1.jpg

He he.  "Ribbed, for _his_ pleasure".  

Seriously though, I am unfamiliar with that gun.  Pump or auto?  Approximate price?

Eric
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Funny. My 870 came with a factory extension. The first thing I did was get rid of it.  Might go with a +1 in the future but I think the +2's are too fragile for real ruffing it SHTF. Drop it and you got yourself a nice little single shot. The things I would recomend for a SHTF shotty is:
1. Sling
2. Side saddle of some sort
3. Surefire forearm light

In that order and the only must is the first one. But of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the Win 1300 Defender and a Benelli M1S90 .
The Benelli is sweet and pretty , but the 1300 is simpler
and holds 13 rounds of mini shells which it feeds and cycles
smoothly .

In a true SHTF situation I'm grabbing the 1300 .

ETA

The 1300 isn't for everyone because of the speed pump
design . It does take some getting used to , because it
forces you to eject and chamber a fresh round after each shot .
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny. My 870 came with a factory extension. The first thing I did was get rid of it.  Might go with a +1 in the future but I think the +2's are too fragile for real ruffing it SHTF. Drop it and you got yourself a nice little single shot. The things I would recomend for a SHTF shotty is:
1. Sling

Why do you think the +2 factory extension is too fragile?  I have one on my 870 and with the barrel clamp (a barel calmp is a MUST for any tueb extension)  It is rock solid.  the only downside I can see is you need a screwdriver or at least a coin to remove the extension clamp if you want to remove the barrel, but I find you can pretty much clean an 870 well enough with the barrel still on.  No rifling to worry about, and in the SHTF I won't be switching barrels at all.

[ETA]  The three dollar solution to the marine coat being hi vis is a can of Krylon OD paint.  Still got weatherproof nickel and you can paint to match the surroundings!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/MadProfessor1775/novashells1.jpg

He he.  "Ribbed, for _his_ pleasure".  

Seriously though, I am unfamiliar with that gun.  Pump or auto?  Approximate price?

Eric

Its Benelli's pump shotgun. I got mine for around $300. 3.5" mag chamber, 6+1 with the extended mag tube. It also has a button to remove the shell from the chamber without loading one from the mag tube, which is pretty nice. I have countless rounds through it, from regular trap loads to full magnums and nothings broken yet.

Thats just my choice. I would not hesitait to pick up a Remington or a Mossberg as they are fine smoke poles as well. I just prefered the features of the Nova.

Edited to add link: Link
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#21]
1st 1300 winchester defender

2nd 870

3rd Mossberg 500

They are all great but this is MHO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
SHTF is 24/7 you need a surefire light on it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

2nd 870

3rd Mossberg 500

+1.

If used for close-quarters, definately in this order.  However, if I'd want to be able to hit anything at a distance, I'd swap the 1300 and the 870 due to the "Speed Pump" action of the Winchester.  I can't seem to tag anything at range with the Surefire fore-end on my FN slapping me in the knuckle.  User error?  Most likely.  Do I need more practice? Yes.  Do I like the action and feel of the firearm?  Definately.

http://www.imagecave.com/thumb.asp?u=17138&filename=FNHerstalSureFireStandingCropResize.jpg
FN Herstal Police Shotgun

Get ahold of each model, see which one you prefer.

I personally like the slick action of the FN (1300), but since the slide kicks back immediately after the trigger is pulled, I wouldn't prefer it for longer ranges or slug use, too much movement going on at once.  In a close quarters engagement with some 00 buck, or walking through the woods waiting for a partridge to burst from cover, I'd feel more than comfortable.  Keep your fore-end hand pulling the stock snugly into your shoulder as you pull the trigger and you'll cycle through rounds very quickly.

With the 870, you're not inclined to work the slide instantly prior to each shot.  To me, less user movement during firing means more accuracy.  At the same time, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it in a stressful situation due to the slide locking up temporarily with each shot.  I wouldn't doubt if your Mossberg was any different, I believe the 590's are identical in that respect.

Given, this is all coming from a 19 year old newbie, but hey, I figured I'd put in my $0.02.  Veterans, feel free to enlighten (or correct) me with your knowledge if you'd be so kind.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Just do what I'm doing.

Go to a local pawn shop, pick up an 870 Police Magnum for as cheap as possible, get a Speed Feed 1 stock that holds 4 rounds, buy some Krylon in olive green, spray everything but the black furniture, throw on a vented barrel shroud, and go shoot the hell out of your $260 invested beater and make sure it's tough enough for SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why do you think the +2 factory extension is too fragile?  I have one on my 870 and with the barrel clamp (a barel calmp is a MUST for any tueb extension)  It is rock solid.  the only downside I can see is you need a screwdriver or at least a coin to remove the extension clamp if you want to remove the barrel, but I find you can pretty much clean an 870 well enough with the barrel still on.  No rifling to worry about, and in the SHTF I won't be switching barrels at all.

[ETA]  The three dollar solution to the marine coat being hi vis is a can of Krylon OD paint.  Still got weatherproof nickel and you can paint to match the surroundings!

How/why important is the barrel clamp?  My 870P has one, but for instance the Wilson Combat Scatterguns don't ship with them:

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#26]
"How/why important is the barrel clamp?"

VERY - one good blow to the mag tube without a clamp installed, and you could easily mess up the threads on the mag tube - then, you're pretty much screwed... For less than $10, a mag clamp is cheap insurance against this very real possibility...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

VERY - one good blow to the mag tube without a clamp installed, and you could easily mess up the threads on the mag tube - then, you're pretty much screwed... For less than $10, a mag clamp is cheap insurance against this very real possibility...

- georgestrings

Not to hijack but where can they be found? ( the clamps) I am drawing a blank at midway and google isnt producing anything.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Sling

Just an added layer of reliability. Plus, I hate barrel clamps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

Not to hijack but where can they be found? ( the clamps) I am drawing a blank at midway and google isnt producing anything.

Brownells has 'em - I'd also imagine that Wilson does, too...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I think that your current shotgun is perfectly adequate.  I also have a very old Mossberg Model 500 (inherited it from my Pawpaw) and bought a factory 18.5" bbl for it.  Those old Mossbergs are slick as greased goose shit, before I started shooting it quite a bit and got it dirty the action was so slick it would fall all the way open by itself when the bolt release was activated.

Because of it's sentimental value (don't want it to get stolen), I carry another Mossberg in the truck.  It is a synthetic stock ghost ring sight model.  IMHO, these shotguns can be absolutely trusted to function flawlessly.

If 6 rounds of 12 gauge #4 buck or 00 buck won't get SHTF business done, it's time to throw the gun at them and run.

Like your username BTW.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think that your current shotgun is perfectly adequate.  I also have a very old Mossberg Model 500 (inherited it from my Pawpaw) and bought a factory 18.5" bbl for it.  Those old Mossbergs are slick as greased goose shit, before I started shooting it quite a bit and got it dirty the action was so slick it would fall all the way open by itself when the bolt release was activated.

Because of it's sentimental value (don't want it to get stolen), I carry another Mossberg in the truck.  It is a synthetic stock ghost ring sight model.  IMHO, these shotguns can be absolutely trusted to function flawlessly.

If 6 rounds of 12 gauge #4 buck or 00 buck won't get SHTF business done, it's time to throw the gun at them and run.

Like your username BTW.

RocketMan you hit the nail right on the head. That is the main reason i dont want to use My Mossberg is becuase it means so much to me. It is in 100% perfect condition works better than any Shotgun that I have ever used. I got it from my dad about a year ago he bought it brand new in 1968 for $72 hahaha. It has never given me or my dad any failures of any kind whatsoever smooth as silk. Thanks for the compliment on the name man. I love Mossberg they sure are one hellova gun for the money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I love Mossberg they sure are one hellova gun for the money.

And yet you purchased a Remington?  

Eric
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
We all grow up sometime . MIKE.

No, we don't.

How does the adage go, "I may grow older but I refuse to grow up".

Otherwise, how could we possibly explain this sickness we have called guns?  "Well Doc, it was all downhill after getting that GI JOE set when I was 5".
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Shot gun newb here.  I'm still trying to decide which to puchase.  I would also love to see a list of good sites for accessories.  Anyone have a favorite store or two?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Shotgun newb here.  I'm still trying to decide which to puchase.  I would also love to see a list of good sites for accessories.  Anyone have a favorite store or two?

Boy you are new. Go with a Remington, Mossberg, or Winchester. They're all good but I prefer the Remmy. Choate has some good stuff like side saddles. Specter has some good slings. Speedfeed has some good stocks.

Edit; Holy crap I forgot Surefire.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd 870

3rd Mossberg 500

+1.

If used for close-quarters, definately in this order.  However, if I'd want to be able to hit anything at a distance, I'd swap the 1300 and the 870 due to the "Speed Pump" action of the Winchester.  I can't seem to tag anything at range with the Surefire fore-end on my FN slapping me in the knuckle.  User error?  Most likely.  Do I need more practice? Yes.  Do I like the action and feel of the firearm?  Definately.

Get ahold of each model, see which one you prefer.

I personally like the slick action of the FN (1300), but since the slide kicks back immediately after the trigger is pulled, I wouldn't prefer it for longer ranges or slug use, too much movement going on at once.  In a close quarters engagement with some 00 buck, or walking through the woods waiting for a partridge to burst from cover, I'd feel more than comfortable.  Keep your fore-end hand pulling the stock snugly into your shoulder as you pull the trigger and you'll cycle through rounds very quickly.

With the 870, you're not inclined to work the slide instantly prior to each shot.  To me, less user movement during firing means more accuracy.  At the same time, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it in a stressful situation due to the slide locking up temporarily with each shot.  I wouldn't doubt if your Mossberg was any different, I believe the 590's are identical in that respect.

The kickback of the forearm during fireing is the greatest weakness of the Winchester 1200 / 1300 / FN Pump Shotguns.  Our MP unit had a mix of Winchester 1200 and Rem 870s.

On qualification day at the range we had MANY more stopages (mostly due to operator error) on the 1200s because the forearm would kick back enough for the trooper to re-lock the action afterfiring.  Result is a tied up gun that doesn't pump or go bang!!

NOT what you want when S.H.T.F. and Killer Mutant Zombies come scambling for your brains

On the Range, I had to teach the troopers to use different holds with the different shotguns.

On the Winchesters we had the troopers pull the forearm hard backwards (instead of pushing it toward the target as is done with most pump shotguns)   NOT good for unit training to need to give "special instructions" just to use the gun.  First chance we had, we rotated all the 1200s to another unti and kept all the 870s (including theirs - Boy were they PISSED!!)

The 1200 / 1300 / FN is not a "bad" gun if you practice and practice and practice (you can get to the point where the movement feels natural and you really can speed up your shooting cycle.

Just not my cup of tea!

The Mossberg is a better gun in my opinion, but the Best of the Best is still old faithful - The Remington 870!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I would take a Mossberg or a Remington, just becuase they are the most reliable and you can find the most aftermarket stuff for them, like side saddles, mag followers, pistol grip stocks and whatnot what have you and such, but I'd also take a bare bones 1897 just becuase they are built like tanks.  Hard to disasemble, but they are friggin tanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Think I'd stick with Mossbergs. Must have three or four already. Bought them dirt cheap and with few frills. Worst case scenario is to give these out as the chump/sacrificial lamb. Considering the other threads going on about confiscation seems appropriate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top