Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 12:42:36 AM EDT
Saw this on another board. I want to keep my "new" 870 pure i.e. no railed fore-end, no v-grip, no tele stock. but I think this is cool. Basic side saddle with top rail. Is there really a need for optics on a 18" shotty. If so, which one works well?

The piece is a little pricey, but if it works it may be worth it.

www.pri-mounts.com/detailpages/08-087.htm

nOOb with a guage.......out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
That's kinda cool. Even if you don't want to put something on it right away, it'll be there if you want to.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel very comfortable with this shotty. I have already put several hundred rounds through, and patterned it with 000 buck. This is the only "gingerbread" I am interested in (the side saddle), the rails are just an added bonus that may or may not get used. I feel confident using this weapon for it's intended purpose, but will add a light before "depolying" it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a set of sights and be done with it.  Better yet, send it to Hans Vang or Lew Bonitz and have them add sights, extended tubes, etc. and then see Louis Awerbuck for a class.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Having shot both red dots and open sights on long guns for many years I can see absolutely no way that a red dot sight will get you on target any faster than a good large white front beat sight on a short-barreled, open choked shotgun in any real "tactical" situation.  In fact, I'd wager good money that the red dot would be slower due to the amount of extra stuff in the way of your eyes.

Of course, opinions vary.

The absolute bare minimum I would do to any defense shotgun is to install a high visibility white front bead sight, a Wolff mag spring, a hi-vis follower and a $5 elastic buttcuff filled with more reduced-recoil ammo.

Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top