Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 5:09:13 PM EDT
ok, i am curious after reading   Problem with 2-shot extention tube - Remington 870 ??? - Removing Dimples from 870 Express to instal .  after removing the dimples can you take off the extension tube and go back to stock capacity?  

or is there a way that i can take the mag tube off of another older 870 and put onto my newer one.  i have an older one that kind of sits around for parts.

thanks.

Brett
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As for replacing the actual magazine tube itself.....NO.
The tube is brazed in place, and requires the factory to do a replacement.  
The magazine tubes are installed using special alignment jigs to keep the tube absolutely straight with the receiver, and are brazed in place in special electric ovens.

In addition, the ejector assembly has to be removed before heating, reinstalled and riveted after heating, and the receiver has to be refinished, since the high heat ruins the finish.

Removing the extension and converting back, is a problem on dimple-equipped Express guns.

The problem is, after removing the dimples, the plastic magazine spring retainer can't be used again, and there's nothing to keep the magazine cap from unscrewing under recoil.
The Wingmaster and Police guns have a spring-loaded plunger on the front face of the barrel support ring, that acts with the old style magazine cap to keep it from unscrewing.

Older Express guns have the hole in the ring, so if you have one of those, you can have the spring and plunger installed, buy an old style magazine cap, and you're good to go.

If you don't have the hole, the best you can do, is just screw the cap on tight, then tighten further with a pair of padded pliers.

So, if you have an older Express with the hole in the ring:  You'd buy a spring and plunger and have them staked in place.
Buy a OLD style magazine cap and the old style steel cup-washer that holds the magazine spring in the tube.

If you have a newer Express without the hole in the ring: You'd buy the old style magazine cup-washer to retain the spring, and screw the new style magazine cap down TIGHT.

Yet another option: Just buy a 870 barrel that has the plunger and spring in the front of the barrel support ring.  Add an old style cap, cup-washer and mag spring and you're good.

If you have a Express HD with the factory magazine extension, these are set up like the Wingmaster and Police, and you can easily change back and forth by just buying an old style magazine cap, a magazine spring, and the cup-washer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you dfariswheel, so i guess that i will swap the shorter 26 inch barrel to my wingmaster for hunting and get me a mag tube for the newer express for the zombies and 3 gun matches.  

i appreciate your time to make me more informed.

Brett
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top