Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 3:38:03 PM EDT
I have a Winchester 1300 that has a problem.  I can't say if its been doing it long because I haven't fired it yet.  Anyway on to the problem.  When I'm cycling the action it will feed most rounds in the bore, and then eject normally, but at least 1 time per mag tube and usually near the end of the tubeful (often just one round left after) it will send a round out the bottom underneath the lifting arm and onto the floor.  I'm not too sure what might cause this problem because I'm a little foggy on a pump's action.  Would it be the magazine cut-off? or some kind of loading gate? An interupter?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Steve L.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the gun new or used?

Is it possible that you are short stroking it?  A pump shotgun, by design is supposed to be cycled swiftly and briskly.  If you baby it as you cycle it, you can create or enhance problems.

There is a part that may be causing this.  I'll hit the book to make sure I use the right nomenclature.  Firearm symantics- a given part is given a different name by every manufacturer.

2guntom

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Take the pins out that hold the trigger guard assembly in place.  When the assembly is removed you will see that the shell elevator goes up and down on a pivot point.  That pivot point is secured- murky memory operating here- by a screw.  Make sure that that screw isn't either too loose to keep the parts in their proper position or too tight to bind everything up.

A few provisos- a good schematic would help a lot (you can find one at www.egunparts.com) and when in doubt a trip to a gunsmith could be in order.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I took out the trigger pack and looked all over for the problem.  It was a lot dirtier than I thought it would be.  I checked the elevator and it seemed to work as expected.  I loosened and tightened the screw and that didn't seem to change it.  I cycled it a few dozen times and the last round was the sticking round every time.  So I took out the spring and elongated it some to test if it was weak.  It hasn't repeated the problem since, so I'll be ordering a magazine spring any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Steven L
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like ya found the problem. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Vulcan94 ====> <==== ARFCOM

God, I feel like a complete idiot right now.  My Winchester 1300 has been doing the exact same thing for a while now, and I never thought to ask ARFCOM.    Thanks GreenTalon.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
.....So I took out the spring and elongated it some to test if it was weak.  It hasn't repeated the problem since, so I'll be ordering a magazine spring any suggestions?

I would also highly recommend ditching the factory follower and going with a nice nigh-visibility plastic follower from a company such as Choate.

I will very soon (tonight, I hope) have a 10-pack of brand new Wolff 12 gauge shotgun tube magazine springs arriving at my house and will sell off the extra ones that I do not need.  They are 40" in length and will need to be custom cut to the length that you need.  If you have "regular" shotguns (hold 6 rds or less in the mag tube) around the house, one spring will be more than enough for two guns.

I couldn't find any good deals on buying just one spring, so I had to buy the 10-pack.  Oh well.

If you want, let me figure out the cheapest way to ship them out and I'd be happy to send you one or more for just my cost + the container cost + shipping.  I am thinking about $7 each would get one shipped in a sturdy-enough container that it wouldn't get crushed.  I would prefer a MO, Paypal (add 50 cents for fees) or even just cash safely hidden in an envelope.  I am fairly new but I do have good feedback in the "working" feedback thread.

Eric
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at the Choate high visibility follower, but it looks like it takes up valuable space in my tube.  It looks to be 2"-3" longer than the stock follower... Thats an extra shell.

I'm in for a Wolff spring and will paypal you when you are ready to ship out, just let me know final tally.

Steve L.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, the Choate follower doesn't cause your gun to hold fewer rounds.
The stem portion of the follower enters the center of the compressed spring and doesn't take any extra room.

Choate claims this telescoping into the spring actually prevents the spring from getting over-compressed and possibly tangling if you attempt to force in too many rounds under stress.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I just installed one of the hi-vis Choate followers into a new (to me) Mossy 500 with 5+1 capacity, and replaced the rusty and shot original mag spring with a Wolff spring.

I carefully sanded the edges of the plastic follower to make it really smooth with no "slag" hanging off to interfere with it's smooth movement.  I also trimmed about 1/2" off of the "stem" because I didn't like how hard it was to get Round #5 (the last one) into the mag tube.  It only cleared the cartridge stop by about 1/16"of an inch and if I didn't  push it in there REALLY hard, it might pop back out.  After trimming the follower's stem it clears by just over a 1/4", a margin with which I am far more comfortable.

I'll let you guys know when the Wolff springs are ready to ship, probably early next week.  I picked up some Tyvek USPS Priority envelopes today and want to test-mail myself one of the springs to see if the spring and/or package survive the USPS's gentle handling.    I could always just use one of their "Priority boxes" but I want to be able to ship them out as inexpensively as possible so that the postage doesn't cost as much as the dang spring.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Damnit!  Tried elongating the spring.  Didn't really help.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:12:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damnit!  Tried elongating the spring.  Didn't really help.  

Vulcan94

Well, that's not really surprising.  Metallurgy being what it is, my experience has been that if you stretch out a spring it will naturally want to go back to it's prior at-rest state.  If it was weak to begin with, it will still be weak after stretching it, just longer.

Do what I did and buy a good Wolff spring and cut it to fit.  I bought a 10-pak of them and "test-mailed" myself one to see if it will survive the USPS's tender handling.  I should receive it back today or tomorrow and if all goes well I will post them for sale in the EE under Shotgun Parts for $8 shipped for one spring and add $3.80 for a 2nd spring.  (USPS Priority mail is a minimum of $3.85 charge and the springs cost $3.80 each, and then there's the Paypal fees so you do the math.)  One 40" Wolff spring is more than enough for 2 regular capacity (6 shot tubes or less) guns.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hijack your thread, but here's the link to the Wolff mag tube springs I am selling in the EE under Shotgun Parts.

Wolff mag tube springs for sale

Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top