Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 9:26:56 PM EDT
I'm in the process of buying an 870 HD, and i'm wondering about the usefulness of a 618 forend.

Do you guys reccomend them? What are the advantages over getting a rail and mounting a light on that. (That way it would be interchanbeable with my rifle's rail)

If so, what's a good price and place to buy it? Or just shotgun accessories in general?

Do you guys reccomend ghost or rifle sights, or just bead sights? For use as HD, 3-gun matches, and just plinking.

Thanks,
matt
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IMO the first accessory that should be installed on a HD shotgun is a good white light, and my personal preference for one of these is one of the SureFire fore ends. Others here have rigged lights on rails and seem to be happy with them also. For me, using a light with a pump shotgun just works much better with the dedicated fore end, but the price is a bit high if you have several guns to outfit, or are on a tight budget.

Ghost rings...properly installed...are good sights, but there is nothing at all wrong with a big, bright bead for practical uses, nor for getting into something like 3 Gun. (although, if you get serious about that, you will probably decide to get an auto and jazz it up some).

If you get a light installed, be certain to take the lamp and batteries out before long shooting sessions at the range, as repeated, heavy recoil can eventually kill even the SureFire set up. No need to break parts trying to prove a point...they work fine for real world situations.

Try Grant at G&R Tactical, and / or Calvin at Brightflashlights for lights and related parts...both are good guys and both support this board as registered dealers. You can find their info in the Industry Forums.

Thanks for the response Ikor.  The fact that I will need to take the lights off swings me heavily towards a rail mounted light, simply because the gun will be used much much more without the lgiht than ever with it.  I'm still unsure of whether or not I want to use my AR or a shotgun for HD.  Right now the Ar handsdown due to my familiarity, but over time, who knows.

I have dealt with both grant and calvin and both have been good guys. I knew they sold the lights, didn't know about other shotgun accessories.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a great price fora 618FA check out BRIGHTFLASHLIGHTS
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know your applications what you're planning, but I would encourage you to really think about the dedicated forend.  Do you really need a light on a whole bunch of weapons?  Or could you just have a dedicated white light shotgun?

The surefire forends are pretty tough and they're always on the weapon.  If you had rail light, it would sure suck if it wasn't on  your shotgun when the bad guys showed up.

I've got ghost rings on my shotgun with the surefire and they really stand out when the light is on.  

Don't pay more than $200 for a 618.

R.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Surefire fore end rail system instead of the dedicated fore end light.  My reasoning was that I can use whatever light I want and/or even swap my light back and forth from my AR which is what I'm currently doing.  More importantly though, I really like having a VG mounted to the fore end.  It makes for pumping the action so much easier and more comfortable.  It will also help you with muzzle control.  Additionally, with all the extra rails you get with the Surefire fore end, you could add all sorts of other optics/accessories if you really wanted, although I can think of anything more I'd like to add to mind (yet)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks interesting.  Go shoot it a bunch and tell us about it.  ETA - and have fun.

R.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you want a great price fora 618FA check out BRIGHTFLASHLIGHTS

+1 on Bright flashlights- good prices and fast service
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
IMO the SF forend is a proven commodity and even though my SG isn't my primary HD weapon i spent the bucks on  it after using a clamp on  the mag tube to hold a light.

I haven't seen a suitable alternative yet.

ETA i am referring to the 618 type forend not the rail type.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
As the guys have been saying, the combined Sure-Fire system works.
When you have to mount a light on a pump actuated shotgun, a whole other variable is introduced.
The remote pressure switch on the SF unit will never move from it,s location and allows your hand to alter position slightly while actuating the pump, while still maintaining white light.
If you mount a seperate light on a MIL-STD 1913 equipped forend, the pressure switch must be mounted super secure, with the remote wire,s excess tucked away completely.
You can also run a front vertical grip as previously shown, and actuate with either the knuckle or the thumb if using a GGG light offset.
It is true that the recoil forces might eventually take the wood to the light. The batteries will move when firing due to their mass, and the attendant spring that must keep them in contact allows them to cycle within the cylinder. Typically more so than recoil, is when the operator slams the pump mechanism rearward at warp 9.
You can,t go wrong either way if your install is sweet and rugged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top