Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 7:09:09 PM EDT
After shooting 20+ rnd. I always will grab the shotgun touching the barrel and after three burns I had enough, I have to have a heatshield on my 1187 police shotgun but I can't find one, anyhelp with my search? I don't have any idea if ATI would fit and there also a universal type out there... If also anybody can help me find an 1187 vent rib choke probably 21".
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
As near as I can tell, any heat shield that will fit an 870 will fit an 11-87.
Heat shields will NOT fit barrels with ribs or rifle sights.

Brownell's sell a steel heat shield that fits most non-ribbed barrels.
#867-102-012  $28.98
www.brownells.com

For barrels, contact Remington.  For odd barrels, you may need to talk to the Remington Custom Shop.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Where's all the heatshield haters?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an ATI shield, on their web they list it on Rem 870, is there some modification for it to fit the 11-87? It looks like the hanguard would have to be cut a little at the rear end...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a look at the John Masen Zytel (plastic) heatshield, these only clamp around the barrel at the front, not at the receiver. Plus, the shield's curve spans only 180 degrees or slightly less, making it less likely to interfere with a forend. Even if it's not a perfect fit, hey it's plastic, get that sandpaper outht,
There's a pic of my R870 with this heatshield on the last page of the shotgun picture thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
SouthpawG26, never this thing pop up on google.... thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...after three burns I had enough,

Not what we'd call a fast learner, are we?  

Always figured the 'heat shield' was more for that Gangsta look.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SouthpawG26, never this thing pop up on google.... thanks for the info.hr

John Masen Co, also uses the brandname Black Warrior. By the way, these are also the cheapest heatshields out there ($13).
http://www.clipsnstuff.com/images/products/shotgun/bwhtsh.jpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Midway has the John Masen Zytel heat shield. I have one on my 870, no added weight, haven't got a chance to fire it so I can't say if it stays in place. You can also look at the Mossberg heat shields they might fit on your gun also. I remember someone saying they have one on there 870  on another board.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh,sorry, I'm here.  Been taking pictures of locomotives!  Er, here goes....I hate heatshields!  Yup, that'll work.  They are useless items.  After shooting a shotgun, you never grab the barrel.  If everybody was dupid enough to grab weapons by the barrel, after firing, we'd have heatshields on everything from your trusty Rem 700 to you handy 1911.  It makes no sense.

Besides, thats what a forend is for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the look of the heat shield that came with my Mossberg 500 "cruiser", but none of my other weapons have one and I've never fealt that I needed one. The one on my Mossy has a bar that gos from the front mount up to the barrel mount so it can't slide forward under recoil.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh,sorry, I'm here.  Been taking pictures of locomotives!  Er, here goes....I hate heatshields!  Yup, that'll work.  They are useless items.  After shooting a shotgun, you never grab the barrel.  If everybody was dupid enough to grab weapons by the barrel, after firing, we'd have heatshields on everything from your trusty Rem 700 to you handy 1911.  It makes no sense.

The 1911 does have a heatshield, although most people call it a "slide"

AR-15's, FAL's, AK47's, etc, etc, etc all have heatshields, they are just called "handguards"

I see no reason why you shouldn't have a heatshield on the weapon, espeically when the weapon requires a lot of manual manipulation to load as opposed to just slapping in a magazine.  I seriously doubt that anyone "grabs the barrel" of their shotgun, I know at least in my case the warm barrel brushes my left arm when loading shells as I have a tendency to roll the gun over a bt to ease the loading procedure.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, I never burnt myself or felt it was even was enough on my 870. I do have a heat shield on my gun though, guess I like that gangster look. I put allot shells through a friends Saiga 12 and don't remember it being that hot either.

I just remember when I asked about one and all the helpful replies I got.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top