Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 10:49:36 PM EDT
I picked up a J.C. Higgins 12ga bolt action shotgun in horrible condition from a junk dealer a few days ago. The gun will not cock and the safety catch assembly is missing. There is a pin that extends down from the rear bottom of the bolt. This pin (apparently) is supposed to rest against the sear. When one pulls the trigger this pin is released and the firing pin assembly is released. Unfortunately someone filed it down or it wore down over time. Now it usually rotates with the bolt when the action is closed.

I can get the gun to cock if I close the bolt very, very carefully, but this obviously isn't safe and is doubly unsafe with a missing safety catch assembly. I think some replacement parts are in order, but I am not exactly sure what needs to be replaced. I think a diagram of the action would help a lot.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Did Gun Parts Corp (Numrich) have a diagram?  You may need to cross reference to see what the real manufacturer is.

If that doesn't work, let me know; I've got a few books that might have something I can scan and email.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Numrich has a few Higgins diagrams but not for this model. I think the 583.10 was made by Hi-Standard. I can't find a serial number on the gun. This is what it looks like:

I'll try to track down my digital camera and take some pictures of my specimen. There is a notch in the barrel behind the magazine tube fastener assembly and I wonder if it is something that was put there by the factory or a nefarious former owner. I imagine guns of this sort were made with barrels meant for more than one specific model of shotgun in order to save money.

Galland

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The sear pin on the bolt should also have a cross pin through it to hold it in place. Make sure the the cross pin in in place, otherwise the sear pin can push all the way through the bolt body and compltely miss the sear engagement point. Just a thought.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I disassembled the bolt last night to clean it. There are no provisions for a cross pin in the sear pin. There is a shallow depression in the sear pin that faces in the direction of the muzzle. The rear of the firing pin assembly apparently rests in this depression.  It is a real PITA to screw the firing pin assembly in, as it is under strong pressure from the spring.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Numrich has a few Higgins diagrams but not for this model. I think the 583.10 was made by Hi-Standard. I can't find a serial number on the gun. Galland

Okay, I'll do some snooping through my books and see if I can come up with something.  When I find something, I'll shoot you an email.

2guntom
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okay, I'll do some snooping through my books and see if I can come up with something.  When I find something, I'll shoot you an email.

2guntomwww.2guntom.com/454/group/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Thank you very much. I appreciate it!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright, this is what I've got:

Gun Parts catalog#26

The cross reference chart shows that a JC Higgins 583.13 - 583.23 is a High Standard 10.

pg 370 shows a J.C. Higgins Model 10
"...also Sears Model 583.13 - 583.22 Most parts will fit JC Higgins model 583.1 - 583.12"

Back to the cross reference.
Sears 583.1 = High Standard -
Sears 583.126 = Sako L46
Sears 583.13 = High Standard 10
Sears 583.14 = H & R 120
Sears 583.15 = H & R 121
Sears 583.16 = High Standard 10
Sears 583.17 = High Standard -
Sears 583.18 = H & R 120
Sears 583.2 = H & R M120
Sears 583.20 = High Standard Flight King
Sears 583.2003 = High Standard M200 or JC Higgins M20
Sears 583.21 = H & R M120

H & R 120
www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1560z120

H & R 121
www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1560z121

I am looking for anything that is remotely close or relavent.  Some of those models reference to 16 & 20 guns, but the parts and info you are seeking shouldn't matter.

I also scanned some parts blow ups.  I'll send you an email, reply so I have your address, then I'll email those to you.

2guntom
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Still digging:

A Google search came up with some neat stuff-

www.searsarchives.com/products/questions/manuals.htm

www.faqfarm.com/Q/FAQ/414

Here is a real good one
Sears Recall??

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
You've dug up some interesting information. I didn't know H&R made a similar shotgun. Maybe they did make the 583.10. I also wonder about the Sears recall of the 583.x.... I haven't seen the x.10 specifically mentioned, but they all probably have similar bolt designs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Galland,

Well, sorta'.  Some of those models differ, but for what you are doing it may help.

I guess I'm still a little confused.  You said you had a JC Higgins 583.10, but I couldn't find anything.  But there is a Sears model 583.10; it cross references to a High Standard of unknown model number.  I checked that through different sources and they all said the same thing.  I'm hoping there is enough similarities amongst this stuff that you can find what you need.

As far as the Sears recall, I am suspicious.  That kinda' smelled like a "gun buy back".  I'm wondering if Sears got some new ceo or head honcho that was making, or trying to appear to make some anti gun statement or something.  Didn't it say $160 if you mailed the bolt to them?  Weird.  Regardless, thoroughly inspect yours before shooting it.

If you order from Numrich Gun Parts Corp., call in your order.  Specify that they put a note on the warehouse pull order "hand pick best parts".  My last order with them was my last order with them.  They charged my credit card twice, sent me wrong parts, and sent me rusty parts.  I spoke with them on the phone several times regarding their foul up.  I got refunded for the wrong parts and the double dip on my card, but regarding the rusty parts, I gave them a choice.  They could make right and I would remain a customer, or they could blow me off and I'd be gone.  Well, I'm gone.  Typical for today I guess; they employ punk kids that don't know a firing pin from a nose ring...

Anyway...

I hope those scanned parts blow ups work for you.  I tried to keep enough physical size so you could zoom in and see what you needed without it getting pixellated.  Keep me posted on this project.  I absolutely love digging into stuff like this.  I could research stuff like that all day; that would make a gratefying day job for sure.

Stay in touch,

2guntom  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Galland,

Well, sorta'.  Some of those models differ, but for what you are doing it may help.

I guess I'm still a little confused.  You said you had a JC Higgins 583.10, but I couldn't find anything.  But there is a Sears model 583.10; it cross references to a High Standard of unknown model number.  I checked that through different sources and they all said the same thing.  I'm hoping there is enough similarities amongst this stuff that you can find what you need.

J.C. Higgins was a brand name invented by Sears, Roebuck & Company. John Higgins was a Sears employee. He gave them permission to use his name. He didn't have a middle name so they added the "C". The shotgun has this inscribed on the left rear side of the receiver:

J.C. HIGGINS - MODEL 583.10
SEARS, ROEBUCK AND CO.

The Higgins line of camping gear, guns and etc. was eventually replaced with the Ted Williams line.  Martha Stewart wasn't the first person to slap her name on random cheap stuff to make it sell well.

I spent another hour taking the action apart today. The diagrams you sent were a big help. I thought the carrier housing (part #8) on the bottom was spot-welded, but it isn't. It is held in place by a pin one may drive out. I doubt the gun has been disassembled to this degree. I cleaned out a lot of dirt. The safety apparently fits into a groove milled into the left side or the rear block before the carrier housing is installed. The rear of the safety catch fits into the "U" shaped area you see underneath the rear of the receiver and blocks the sear from moving forward.

Why couldn't they just copy the k98k?

Your scans are great and I can't thank you enough for them!

As for the bolt recall, I doubt it was an anti-gun thing. It is probably a lawsuit preemption strategy that was born of a single documented bolt failure.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
"J.C. Higgins was a brand name invented by Sears, Roebuck & Company..."

Yep, you're 100% right on that.  I read all about that when I was doing my research.  I guess that was so obvious I tripped over it; maybe it was sensory overload.

"It is probably a lawsuit preemption strategy..."

Yep, you're probably right again.  I've taken so much flack from anti gun people to such an extreme I think I have blisters on my butt from it.  I guess I need to lighten up a little.  It's kind of a long story...

I'm glad I could help.  Not being able to see the gun in person makes it challenging, but I like the challenge.  Some of my best 'smithing has been extremely challenging.  From what you describe you sound like you are on the right path.  Keep me informed.

2guntom  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
OK 2gun, I managed to retrieve my Kodak. I have made a photo page for those inclined to view my latest 'treasure'. It includes nine photos I made with my admittedly prehistoric digital camera and a short blurb about how I aquired the shotgun. Enjoy!

J.C. Higgins Model 583.10 Photographs

Galland
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the link.

Man, that brings back a lot of memories.  I got my very first gun, an H&R single shot, at a yardsale next to my girlfriend's house.  I wasn't even old enough to legally own a shotgun yet.  I can't remember if I even gave $20 for the thing.  That was almost two decades ago...

It definately looks like you have a full fledged project ahead of you.  

Keep me posted.

2guntom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top