Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 5:24:43 PM EDT
I'm looking for a tactical shotgun of some type.  At first I thought I wanted something like a mossberg 590, full size with full capacity and all the options but after I thought about it more I decided that I would like something smaller and easier to get around with.  I'm thinking something along the line of a 'backup' type weapon yet still usable for home or self defense as my keep-by-the-bed weapon.    

I was down at the local gun shop today and happened to see a Mossberg 500 Cruiser.  I LOVED how small it was and I'm thinking it would work great for what I'm after.  The only things I dont like are the cylinder bore (I would prefer something like a modified or imp. cylinder) and I'm also wondering about the pistol grip.  How difficult is it to shoot a 00 buck round out of a pistol gripped shotgun?  I know it really wouldnt matter when the boggie man is standing five feet in front of me but for all other purposes I'm curious.  I also understand that I can always upgrade the stock as I see fit.

Is there any reason I should be looking at a more complete shotgun?  Is there any reason to need more capacity than 6 rounds?  Does anyone have any personal experience with the 500 Cruiser?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't hurt at all to shoot with the pistol grip.

However!!!!!!

Good luck hitting anything that isn't right in front of you :)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I disagree, I can and do look down the bead when shooting with a pistol grip, just as I do with an AK47 pistol, the 500 is OK, the winchest 1300 is (IMO) better, I own 2 of each though. I even hunt predators around the farm with a pistol griped cruiser.

P.S. Get a light on that bitch!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
is the 500 Cruiser model in 12 or 20 ga or available in both? what is the length of that shotgun
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is the 500 Cruiser model in 12 or 20 ga or available in both? what is the length of that shotgun

They actually are available in 12, 20 AND .410. Mine is 12, I see little use in anything else because of the limit of good loads, exept maybe shooting snakes if you are in the south west area.
The 12 is available in two models, an 18 1/2" barrel with a 6 round capacity, or a 20" barrel with a 8 round capacity, mine is the latter, I really wanted the high capacity. I suppose the 18 1/2" is a little lighter and a little "stealthier".
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
How 'bout a 12" Saiga-12.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=313939

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
hi, check equipment exchange there was a franchi sas 12 for sale 400.00 . its a great gun 8 plus 1 .very light and accurate. i paid over eight for mine. oh yeah takes 3'' shells

hope this helps

eric
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend the FN Police shotgun.  I recently got one and I like it.  It is ready to go for the most part but I want to get a hogue stock set and a light for it.  It is basically a Winchester 1300 Defender except it has a reduced length-of-pull stock, parkerized finish, rifle sights, and screw-in chokes.  You can get one for around $300 new.

Look at here:  http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

It is on page 35.

They sell it for 269.99 before shipping.

So...

+12.98  (shipping)
+25.00  (Maximum Transfer I would pay)
-----------
=307.97  (Cheaper if you get a better transfer fee)

I would really like to see Remington build a shotty with an extended magazine that wasn't an add-on.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally prefer to keep HD shotguns as simple as possible. Get a Winchester 1300 Defender 12 gauge or a Mossberg 500 Persuader (with a stock) and be done with it. I honestly prefer a bead front sight to a rifle sight. Also, most of the rifle sight barrels are anywhere from 1.5" to 2" longer. Since I use buckshot, I am not worried about rifle sights. For me, the bead is what I prefer.

Also, get yourself a SureFire forend for your shotty and some good low recoil 00 buckshot (like the excellent Hornady TAP) and that's all you'll need.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
H&K FP6   it's awesome    if i could figure out how to post pics i will post one   i love the thing
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a big fan of the Benelli Nova Tactical. I got mine with ghost ring sights and mag extension from Scheels brand new for $350. It comes with a 3.5" chamber and has some neat little features, like a button that lets you remove the round from the chamber without having another come up from the mag tube, and the lifter (I think thats what thats called) stays in the up position when you push it up for loading, which makes stoking the shotgun alot easier.

Once I add the recoil reducer to the buttstock it'll be perfect. Just my humble opinion.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want something really cool and will last you forever, get a Benelli m1 entry. 14" barrel...so with the full stock it's still a very short gun. O yea and it's semi auto!

I may be a bit biased though I just bought an m1 Super 90 Tactical.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought this Mossberg Maverick today at Academy. $148. Cheap, but it will probably go bang if I needed it to. 6 rd mag, 5 w/ 3'' shells, 181/2" barrel. Good enough for me, hope I never have to use it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top