Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 1:39:19 AM EDT
Just curious, I have an old damascus barrelled ithica 12ga side by side.   I want to shoot it just once, to say I did.   Would a modern light target load be too much for the old shotty?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't even try it,

Black powder goes off all at once.  This means that the breach side of the barrels are very thick at the base to deal with the instent max pressure, then the barrel thickness taper out very fast towards the muzzle since the barrel pressure will have fallen way off.  

Smokeless powder on the other hand burns slower, and builds up pressure behind the shot wad it is pushed down/ out of the barrel (reason that smokless powder produces more speed with the same amount of overall pressures).

Again, the problem with the wound barrels is not the inital pressure burst, but the fact that the way that the smokeless presure builds, and when the shot gets to the end of the barrel, the smokeless pressure has not reduced in barrel pressure like that of Black powder, and unwinds the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I'll leave it on the wall.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Why, just load up some shells using BP and have a go at it.

Hell, nothing better than shooting trap with a BP shotgun.  It's a great way of breaking the next guy in the line of trying to read the trap and speed shooting just after you shoot (he has to wait for the smoke to clear first before calling for his pull). Get a few of you out there with BP shotguns, and you will have to take smoke breaks in between the position shifts on windless days.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
up until 20 years ago my father used one durring deer season in N.J., he used low brass #1 buckshot.
never shot it myself though.The hose clamp holding the stock together was enough to scare me....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone ever used those undersized bore inserts?  Like a 20 guage into a 12?

I recently had an opportunity to buy a Dammascus shotgun but did not.  Then after the fact I thought of those inserts.  Are they OK for Dammascus?  Should be right? because the insert will take all the pressure.  
Am i crazy?  (well, at least in this)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top