Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 12:58:32 PM EDT
I found an old Rem Model 11 in my grandparents attic disassembeled, and he said "take it, I don't even know if it works."  At first I thought it was a browning A5 because, well it looked like one,  but it took me a while to find some info on old serial numbers and such.  From what I gather it was NIB in the late forties.  Its stainless finished.  Functionally its in great shape (tested probably 50 shells through it) and the finish is good, no rust, but does seem stained a little, or well not shiny like I'd expect a stainless finish.  The wood finish isn't so great and the forward wood handguard has a hairline crack.

First off I don't hunt, never got into shotguns or trap or anything like that.  Mainly military surplus, ARs and pistols, "fun guns"  I'd like to do some things to it (nothing permenant though).

1.)  New set of wood.  I could refinish the original stock but the forend is cracking; ie there is a crack in the wood, not that the finish itself looks cracked.  Is there anywhere that makes replacement wood or even synthetic furniture?

2.)  Is there anywhere that I could get a magazine extension.  I'd like to leave the gun at my parents as a home defense weapon.  I wouldn't want to do any permenant alterations.  I realize the gun has been out of production for 50+ years but I've thought I've read that the threads for the mag tube are the same as for the Remington 1100, would these work?  Does anyone still make mag extensions for that weapon?  Any ideas on how to do this?

3.)  Thats a damn long barrel!  I've seen A5 barrels in cabellas before but I'm looking for something a bit shorter/more managable.  Any recomendations, or are there any shorter barrels available.  The barrel is in fine shape, no pitting or anything, its just kind big for home defense.  I've read that extremely short barrels did adversly affect reliablity, but I can't see how this could actually happen functionality wise.

The thought has crossed my mind to make a wipet gun but I didn't want to hack it all up.

Any other education on this weapon would also be helpful as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Never even seen a stainless #11 It might be no blue left on it. U can find part for these. Barrels shouldn't be hard to find. I have a A5 magnum that I modified with a used barrel. I had it cut down to a 18" and then reparked to match rest of gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of mag extension is on that?  Will the ones made for 1100 fit?  Thanks for the info on the finish.  Maybe its just worn park/blue?  But I'll be damn if it isnt an awful light silver color, albeit dull.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont thing the 1100 will fit . I purchased mine from Choate machine and tool. you could see ifa 1100 0r 870 incap will fit the gun first. I know some Winchester stuff will fit some Brownings. U will have to try it to see. Good luck and bring that nice old gun to life and shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well since I didn't have to work this afternoon and was bored I was surfing the net on my newest project.

From what I gather, but have yet to confirm for myself are that the extensions made for the current Remingtons have the same threading as the end cap on the M11/A5.  The only difference is that the end cap is a bit deeper than the current guns.  Read a couple times that people have used 870 extensions with a little dremel work.

The problem is with how big of an extension.  I have nixed a new barrel and I'm not sure if I'm up for cutting the current one off.  So for the moment its sticking with the 26" barrel on there.  I could fit a 10 shot extension on there but I'm very dubious about its rigidity with no clamp.  What capacity extension should I get?  How flimsy or firm are your guy's extensions vs their size?

An alternative is to figure a way to clamp the extension but allow the barrel to recoil through the clamp, kinda like a sleave.  Think this could work?  Or would the lack of being firmly stuck to another surface kind of make the clamp useless?

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]

An alternative is to figure a way to clamp the extension but allow the barrel to recoil through the clamp, kinda like a sleave

That was what I was thinking.  Put the clamp on the barrel and then have the other end around some PVC pipe or something that rides the extension.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Go get you a Shotgun News paper or the Gunlist paper. There is barrels in there I know. I found  a company called Vintage sporting here is the #256-534-9292 this guy has thousands of gun barrels. If you want it short like mine go this route.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]

1.) New set of wood. I could refinish the original stock but the forend is cracking; ie there is a crack in the wood, not that the finish itself looks cracked. Is there anywhere that makes replacement wood or even synthetic furniture?

No, they never made a stainless Remington 11. The last Remington 11 was built years before (1948 if I recall when the 11/48 was introduced) the first production stainless firearm was ever made.

Yes, you can order stock sets from Brownells. Bear in mind that they invariably require 'fitting' in the rear tang area, which can be a PITA. I had a totally orphaned Remington 11R that was found in a garage without a buttstock, so i've had to deal with this before.
The fore-end cracking on those is very, very common, almost expected. The best thing you can do is re enforce it with epoxy from the underside, then clear epoxy the end of the fore-end before varnish when you refinish. Careful not to lose the detent.

2.) Is there anywhere that I could get a magazine extension.

An 870/1100 extension will thread right on there without any trouble.

3.) Thats a damn long barrel! I've seen A5 barrels in cabellas before but I'm looking for something a bit shorter/more managable. Any recomendations, or are there any shorter barrels available. The barrel is in fine shape, no pitting or anything, its just kind big for home defense. I've read that extremely short barrels did adversly affect reliablity, but I can't see how this could actually happen functionality wise.

Well, the factory 11R is 20", so for sure you can go that shallow.
There were a number of dudes on subguns.com years ago who found some Remington 11 virgin receivers and made stockless AOW's out of them with very, very short barrels.
11's are recoil operated (unlike their grandchildren in the 1100/11-87 series which are gas operated) thus they are much better to SB than the newer guns.

The thought has crossed my mind to make a wipet gun but I didn't want to hack it all up.

If you do cut up that classic American shotgun just for the sake of having something 'cooler' and 'more tactical looking', you are on par with the guy who nickel plates a classic Luger.

With that in mind, Bonnie and Clyde used a Remington 11 whippet that was supposedly Bonnies favorite fighting gun (bottom gun in pic)

Any other education on this weapon would also be helpful as well.

They are fine guns. Damn fine guns. The machining and fit on those old warhorses is fantastic. The newer guns, while having some advantages, were mainly produced because they were cheaper to make. The fact is, there is no way such a gun could be made today without it costing $2000 or better.
All the parts are milled from forged steel barstock. There isn't a casting or a MIM part to be had in that gun.
The recoil spring tube is threaded into the receiver on earlier models- I would suggest laying in for a spare. These do break after a few thousand rounds, and it would be advisable to replace it preemptively just to be on the safe side. On newer models, they are pinned in (which was another 'ease of production' thing).

The pointability, pronounced sighting plane and balance is typical of any classic American humpback autoloaders. They are a real joy to shoot.

In all honesty, it sounds like you really want something that's tacticool with heat shields and rails and lights and shittly little widgets all over it, not what you presently have. For the sake of preserving a good thing, I would suggest you just sell this gun and buy something more suitable like a Mossberg or an 870. That will be closer to what you want than what you presently have.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Re Tactical Gun Mods:

Well I did say I didn't want to do anything permenant to it, plus someone at some point in this weapons life has sand blasted the thing or something to get the finish off.  I have a hard time feeling sorry about adding some parts do it just because its a "classic" and one thats only worth $150 at most given its condition (finish and furniture).   The only thing I want to do is have more than 4+1 on the thing; and now a days synthetic stocks are cheaper than replacement quality wooded stocks;and all of that can be taken off and the "original" parts put back on.  if the gun isn't useful to me then its worthless.  Besides I'd feel guilty selling a gift.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
M4-TUNA, that's a fine looking shotgun! Something like that would be my ideal HD gun, I just have a thing for the old A5's and Remington 11's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Never even seen a stainless #11 It might be no blue left on it. U can find part for these. Barrels shouldn't be hard to find. I have a A5 magnum that I modified with a used barrel. I had it cut down to a 18" and then reparked to match rest of gun.img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00365.jpg

Tuna,

In your experiences, how reliable is the Remington Model 11/Browning A-5?

Would you say it is more reliable than current day semi-auto's (considering John M. Browning designed it )?

And lastly, aren't there two (or more) important differences between the Model 11 and the A-5?

Justin
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never even seen a stainless #11 It might be no blue left on it. U can find part for these. Barrels shouldn't be hard to find. I have a A5 magnum that I modified with a used barrel. I had it cut down to a 18" and then reparked to match rest of gun.img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00365.jpg

Tuna,

In your experiences, how reliable is the Remington Model 11/Browning A-5?

Would you say it is more reliable than current day semi-auto's (considering John M. Browning designed it )?

And lastly, aren't there two (or more) important differences between the Model 11 and the A-5?

Justin

Well the A5 that I have dont like real light loads like alot of SA's dont. I can shoot  1/18 ounce loads 3 + drams of powder really quick. Never had many issues with the heavy shit. The design is the daddy of all Autos so I guess it is good. Ty John Browning for being a gun designer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Never even seen a stainless #11 It might be no blue left on it. U can find part for these. Barrels shouldn't be hard to find. I have a A5 magnum that I modified with a used barrel. I had it cut down to a 18" and then reparked to match rest of gun.href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00365.jpg

Is that a synthetic stock If so where did you get it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a synthetic stock If so where did you get it?

It was original built by Browning like that, A5 magnum Stalker not many of them around. Cabela's has some black stocks sets.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My grandfather had one of these as well many, many yeras ago and I cut my teeth hunting with that old gun shooting pigions on the family farm...  Great gun that always ran great and I honestly don't ever remeber cleaning it...

I persnally would see it as a sad mistake to cut it down to make a tactical gun out of it as 870s are s cheap and would perhaps make a better gun for the purpose...  but it's your gun...  thanks for the flash back!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I don’t want to hijack the thread but I had a few questions about mine as well. I have a pre 11, according to the tables I have looked at it was made in 1907, I have restored it 100% and replaced all bad or missing parts. The thing runs better than my other 2 Remington sa's and I do better with it at skeet than the others. The only problem is, it looks like hell. My question is, should I reblue it and clean up the stock, or should I just oil the piss out of it and bury it in the safe? I really like shooting it and I don’t think its worth much to begin with, but having a pre 11, with all matchin numbers I wasn’t sure. What do you guys think?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top