Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 6:34:27 PM EDT
Looking for some advise on a good home defense round...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Hornady or federal 00 buck low recoil.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal Classic No. 1 buck results in the most devestating wound and the least pellet deformation.

Shotgun Pellet Wound Ballistics
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Federal Classic No. 1 buck results in the most devestating wound and the least pellet deformation.

Finally, I didn't have to be the first with the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

great article
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

I practice with 00 since it's less expensive and more readily available, but have the #1 for self defense.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Very good info there!  Thanks for the link!

` 45
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#8]
As much as I despise the politically correct reduced recoil 00 buck shot.  I have to say the Remington version can do head shots at 15 yards consistently out of a 20 inch full choke barrel.

I think it would do well and pattern perfectly for inside use, without over doing it.

Personally... I prefer the magnum loads and the "wasp waist" style sabot slugs.  A shot gun is supposed to kick when fired!!!  If you can't deal with it... don't shoot one!!!

However... I have learned to tolerate the reduced recoil stuff as the patterns thrown have dramatically improved over the years since it was introduced. ...and I have been forced to buy the stuff, learning to adapt to what I have to use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very good info there!  Thanks for the link!

` 45

To be fair it was another member that posted this article originally, but you are welcome.  The only problem is that No. 1 Buck can be hard to find, and it is a bit more expensive especially if you have to pay for shipping (as noted above).  I also think it is valuable that the article mentions that magnum actually means lower velocity when referring to shotgun ammunition.  I suspect not very many people know that outside “shotgun discussion.”

If there are any machinists here it would be really cool if someone could develop a duckbill choke that screwed into a Benelli M1 S90 just like any other choke for No.1 Buck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The main advantage of a Shotgun is versatility.  Mine "wears" rubber buckshot, rubber slugs, AA trap loads, OO buck, Slugs and even a flare.  Between the sling, side saddle, elastic butt cuff and the bandoleer, I have a couple of almost every one of the options.   Basically, when I grab my SG I am prepared for most everything from pitbulls to insurrection..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The main advantage of a Shotgun is versatility.  Mine "wears" rubber buckshot, rubber slugs, AA trap loads, OO buck, Slugs and even a flare.  Between the sling, side saddle, elastic butt cuff and the bandoleer, I have a couple of almost every one of the options.   Basically, when I grab my SG I am prepared for most everything from pitbulls to insurrection..

This most certainly deserves a posted picture with arrows and text!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I am just slow to change but I have a box of #2 shot High Brass 12-ga shells that are 2 3/4 and they are still the rounds I keep with the 870.  I also have some 00 buck but I am not comfortable shooting OO inside the house but from many years of hunting with #4 and #6 highbrass loads at Fox and birds I have a good deal of respect for what lots of nasty pellets can do and #2 is still some good sized hunks of lead flying at one's face....

I may need to look for some #1 buck however as my old #2 shells might be better off being retired...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Whichever 00 or 000 load your shotgun patterns the best with.  Federal Tactical and Hornady Tap would be a good place to start.

Most of the #1 buck loads use too soft of a shot for reliable penetration.  So you got to buy the Super X copper plated loads at about $5.00 a box. Then note the increased recoil and muzzle flash of that load vs TAP or Fed Tac Load.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
It would be a good idea to read everything at this website too.

www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top