Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 11:25:39 AM EDT
My Dad gave me a Winchester model 1897 12 ga b4 he died and I want to get is fixed so I can use it. I was wondering if y'all know of any GOOD gunsmiths? I was told by a local 'smith that it was worth more broken then fixed.

Here is what is stamped in the barrel:

manufacured by Winchester Repeating Arms co. New Haven, Conn USA
PAT Nov 25, 90 DEC.92.JULY.21.96.FEB.22.98 JUNE 14.98 OCT.16.1900.DEC.25.06.JULY.05.10

Any help will be much appreicated.

Rich B
Orlando, FL

cross posted in the C&R area

edited to make the title readable
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The pump is not "attaching" itself to the bolt. it has some wobble in the barrel and reciver area and trigger drops by itself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi,
Try this guy, I have not had any work done by them myself yet. They talk about them on the SASS Wire all the time. I have one of those Chinese Trench Brooms that I am going to send them to work on. heres the phone number  (507) 685-4500

corrected link:  www.coyotecap.com

good luck
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The barrel/receiver wobble is fixable with a new adjusting collar.  My takedown '97 had the same problem.  

Re the pump handle/bolt situation:  You do have the takedown pin turned to the correct position & pushed in, right?  If the mag tube isn't spun into position & locked the pump handle won't engage.

The trigger problem sounds like a worn sear/disconnect.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Dustybunch is another SASS oufit specializing in 97's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top