Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
I am looking to add a sling to my 870. I have slings on all of my other shoulder weapons, but have never found a setup I really like for a shotgun. I think it is too long and too heavy for a single point, and I don't care for three point rigs, but I am open to any suggestions. What have you used with success on your shottie?

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had good results with either the Giles tactical sling from Wilderness, or the IBD Sling System. Both are patrol slings, which I think are the 3 point slings you don't like.....

BTW, I know a single point sling mounts to a single point on the gun, but why is it called a 3 point sling when there's only two mounting points?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Mall-Ninja, I find my CQB-Patrol sling (now spectre) very practical and easy for carrying my shotty and AR.

------------
G18 - the best in full-auto...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am looking to add a sling to my 870. I have slings on all of my other shoulder weapons, but have never found a setup I really like for a shotgun. I think it is too long and too heavy for a single point, and I don't care for three point rigs, but I am open to any suggestions. What have you used with success on your shottie?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/.000_0375.jpg

Here's what you need - get a side-mount, front sling swivel and you need a magazine bracket.  The bracket will stabilize, reinforce and strengthen that extended magazine you have AND provide a front mounting point for the sling.  You need both of these things done.

As to a sling, a normal sling attached at the front and to the bottom rear will work just fine for you, especially if you only want it as a carry strap..  It looks like you need to add a sling swivel in the rear.  Alternatively, you can use one of the sling adapters in the rear.

Now, my question to you:  What is it about three point slings you do not like as you can always rig it like a conventional sling/carry strap?

Check out the Spectre SOP slings and read the mounting info and especially read the "Carry Options" info.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
-3 point slings: too dificult to quickly get into. the strap that runs along side the gun can get in the way of gun manipulation (caught between reciever and action, reloads, etc. YES, this has happened to me and some of my squadmates. never happened to you after 2.76 million rounds? that's great to hear).

after trying EVERYTHING, I made my own.  i have side mounts on the front of my 870 and on my stock.  
i bought several 5/32" bungee cords, black, from Ver Sales Inc. (cost me 15 U.S. for a dozen, shipped)
i attached both ends of one to each mount. i then used a regular sling and attached the ends to the bungee cord. VOILA! a sling that will go over the head and left arm to carry up front tactically and also can be slung regularly behind you so you dont scare the public. OPTIONAL: secure bungee cord metal hooks together on mount and excess sling material with 1" black or OD 100mph tape.

i'll admit that this set up has become popular among my department since i've started using it. i've made many of them and shown even more how to make their own. i'ts very simple and versitle. the bungee lets you push the gun away from you a little bit to allow more room to reload and brings it right back to you when done. i love it so much that i even use it on my AR for the same reasons.

ultimately it will be about what YOU like and what works best with your setup. good luck and if you find something original and better, post it. i'm sure others will benefit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#5]
faethor,

That's good info about the sling interfering with the controls.  The thing is, my 870 does not have any controls on its left side (I am right handed), so it shouldn't interfere.  An AR would be a different story.

A simple, two-point, military-style sling (web or leather) is all one really needs for a shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
faethor,

That's good info about the sling interfering with the controls.  The thing is, my 870 does not have any controls on its left side (I am right handed), so it shouldn't interfere.  An AR would be a different story.

A simple, two-point, military-style sling (web or leather) is all one really needs for a shotgun.

i actually had part of the strap get stuck between the receiver and action a few times when i was cycling it, thus preventing the spent shell from extracting. also, that strap gets in the way of my side saddle, hindering my reload. i just hated that thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, I see, I've never had that happen to me, yet.  Short stroking an 870 is bad news and that is probably the equivalent of what the strap caused you to do.

I don't use a side saddle myself.  I have a dump pouch to hold my ammo.  I am considering getting one of these from Spectre:

20 round pouch
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The Specter SOP sling comes with the GG&G sling plate mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top