Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2004 11:51:25 PM EDT
What is the mod you have to do to install this?  I'm getting a 870 express magnum home defense and wanted to put on the surefire lighted forend and the side saddle from TacStar.... do I need to do any mods?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the mod you have to do to install this?  I'm getting a 870 express magnum home defense and wanted to put on the surefire lighted forend and the side saddle from TacStar.... do I need to do any mods?

6 shot side saddle will work after you install the surefire forend light.  Otherwise the original forend will hit the saddle when you work the action.  4 shot saddle with work with the original forend.

Just installed the surefire forend light on my 870 HD and I love it.  Now I need to pick up the side saddle and install a ghost ring.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 to the above. If you want to install the side saddle using the original Express forearm, you can cut the "extension" area at the back of the forearm off. I used a hacksaw and cleaned it up with a file and it looked factory. Soon after though I installed a Surefire which needs no mods.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The notch I cut in mine measures about 1.65" in length and about 1.40" in depth.

Bang
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Bang,

You might want to cut the other side flush with your notch!

When full back, you will find the rear of the forearm will obscure part of the bottom loading port!

BUMMER!!

I cut mine flush just off the back of the checkering points with a miter saw.  It looks factory, but doesn't affect side saddle or block the loading port!

Very Nice looking 870!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a stock forearm. I've had that set up for three years now and it works just fine. I don't plan on running the gun dry before reloading unless I'm out plicking so the bolt will be closed when I fill her up. The only bummer is doing more work than you have.

The advantage to having the Side Saddle on your shotgun is if you have the bad guys covered and you're down to your last round you can strip a shell and load it in the mag without taking the gun from your shoulder, moving your finger from the trigger, or losing your sight picture. If you're behind cover it don't matter where you pull a new round from.

Bang
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Bang,

I'll still go with less work for better results as the way to go!

The easy reason I favor the "flush cut" off on the back of the forearm (Vs. your very nice "corner cut") is that a flush cut is the Easiest Way!

All anyone needs to do is take the forearm off the tube/action bars, set the now empty forearm in a miter box or electric miter saw and in just 5 seconds later - Presto! It is done with a neat squred just-like-it-came-from-the-factory-that-way-look!

Not knocking your intricate "corner cut" style forearm, (that took some skill to do!!) but I prefer to go with that which is both easiest to make and easiest to use!

The Practical - Tactical reason for a square cut is that hopefully you never will run your gun dry in a firefight, (but in High Pucker Factor sitations you never know what really will happen! - (Go to Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry "I know what your thinking punk...  Did I fire 5 rounds or 6....  You know, in all the excitement, I sort of lost count myself... So the Question is...."Do you feel lucky Punk?") No matter where or when, I want to be able to access the loading port without obstruction, so the square cut makes more sense from my years of experience.  Being able to reload easier is a big bonus in addition to being an much easier modification to perform!

You have a unique forearm and I salute your work to create it!

Good Luck and Good Shooting to You in '05

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see where one cut would be a little easier. I guess I sometimes have too much time on my hands. I have always thought along the lines of it's empty get one round in the pipe, then top off the mag. I never tried loading it with the bolt open before either. Have to see how that works next time I have her out.

Bang
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Bang,

The loading of the gun with the slide back is not the biggest reason for trimming, although it never hurts to have more room to operate!) but it is so that if you ever get a jam in the action, you can put the buttstock toward the floor and (with the slide release depressed!) bring the gun down hard to free the bolt if you get a double feed or other tie up in your action.  (that  is the whole reason for the famous "Flexitab Follower"!  This is standard drill with every police dept that issues Rem 870s, and with the military too (I spent many years as a Firearms Training Instructor with my M/.P. Unit.

If you have a jam, you want to be able to access the shell lifter (sometimes you can help it up or down to clear the jam, but to help it up, you have to be able to get to the front lip and if the forearm (while back from the clearing maneuver) is covering that lip..............

B.T.W.  The Win 1200 trenchguns we had in our M.P, company had the same problem and we eventually took the saw and clipped the back the forearm of those guns  too.  Problem arose a bit later  when we latter had an inspection, and while the High Brass never noticed a thing (typicial that they barely knew which end to point at the enemy!!) the Company First Sgt. noticed (but didn't say anything - Thank God!), but as he left the armory, he turned and gave me a look with one eyebrow cocked and raised that said it all (You are SO BUSTED Mister!) that I still remember to this day after all the many years!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

BIGGER_HAMER
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tips.

bang
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top