Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2004 12:54:55 AM EDT
I am having a tough time decidng between the two.  Perhaps the mambers that have, and use these, can throw a lil light on the subject.  Tell me why you like one over the other.  Are there any problems with them that I dont know about?  Anyways, do tell.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You cant compare the two. One is a forend and the other is picatinny rail for optics. Personally, I dont see the need for rail forend on shotguns. I would go with KAC (well, if you can find one) and dedicated SF flashlight (623?) for forend.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
get both.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll pass on the light dedicated forends.  Surefire's M69 has 3 picatinny rails on the forend, and the KAC 870 RAS is the same.  Thats why I want to know which model is superior over the other.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a bit academic now as Knight no longer manufactures the RAS-870, unless you know where to get a used one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you mean?  I have been looking at Surefires M69, and its a slide action forend.  I have only seen pics of KAC's 870 RAS and it seems to be the same.  Thats why I want to know if there is a quality diference between the two.

Mesa, I didn't know that KAC wasn't producing their 870 RAS.  I still see a few new ones online for around $150.  The M69s from Surefire are about $100-$123.

If you'll look up on the "Shotgun Picture thread", page 1 has a pic of an 870 with an M69, and on page 8 there's a pic with KAC 870 RAS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What do you mean?  I have been looking at Surefires M69, and its a slide action forend.  I have only seen pics of KAC's 870 RAS and it seems to be the same.  Thats why I want to know if there is a quality diference between the two.

Mesa, I didn't know that KAC wasn't producing their 870 RAS.  I still see a few new ones online for around $150.  The M69s from Surefire are about $100-$123.

If you'll look up on the "Shotgun Picture thread", page 1 has a pic of an 870 with an M69, and on page 8 there's a pic with KAC 870 RAS.

I don't see an 870 RAS on either page, only Surefire's.

They are two entirely different products, like previously stated, and you're mistaken.

BTW .... that's my 870 on page 8 with the Surefire M69.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The KAC 870 RAS, from Cal's Sporting Armory website.

ONE rail on top.  Looks to me that it's optics ONLY, because I can't see a feasible light install on it.

Surefire M69 rail forend.

No optics are going on those rails, but it's great for everything else.  I use mine for an X200.

Can you tell the difference now?

Chris
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mesa, I didn't know that KAC wasn't producing their 870 RAS.  I still see a few new ones online for around $150.  

If you see one in stock somewhere, let me know.  I would like to get my hands on one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What do you mean?  I have been looking at Surefires M69, and its a slide action forend.  I have only seen pics of KAC's 870 RAS and it seems to be the same.  

Hello...Hello....Bananna....This is Orange, apple says we are same thing.....Is this true?.....Over.....

Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Hello All...

The KAC 870 RAS is a static piece of hardware that attaches to both the barrel and the side of the receiver. I've attached a photo of a gun equipped with such:

I have no experience with the surefire picatinny forend, however I am a huge fan of their illuminated forends.

Take care,

Brobee
www.tacticalshotgun.ca
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#12]
mrcr, I see what your saying know.  I just got a lil crossed up when I read the line where you mentoned KAC 870 RAS.  I thought you meant that forend was the KAC 870 RAS.  Okie dokie.

Mesa, I will try and post the link for the site I saw, thats has some  KACs 870 RAS.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Brobeebiter,

You may rememner I built up an 870 like the one in the photo.  I made two modifications from the picture - mine has an 18" barrel and I used an EOTech with the circle & dot reticle rather than an Aimpoint.  I took it to the range last time I was out to zero it and (re) learn how to use all the new stuff (sights, fore end, stock).

Let me just say WOW !  it is great.   It handles differently (better), recoils differently (less). It is fast on taget (with the red dot sight) and more accurate than it has ever been using either and / or both sights (due mainly to its finally having decent sights).  It ahs become my number one defensive arm for the home.

Guys, if you can find a KAC 870 RAS, BUY IT and set up your shotgun as shown.  You will NOT regret it.

P.S. - I really wish someone would make a full length rail for the 870.  A long rail on top is a great addition ot this fine shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
P.S. - I really wish someone would make a full length rail for the 870.  A long rail on top is a great addition ot this fine shotgun.

Yea really I would buy one the second it came out.  The sight radius would just plain be awesome, you could have all the AR style flip up BUIS... if only...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Mike Mills,

How does having the KAC top rail affect stripping down your 870 for cleaning?

It would seem that if the mount is fitted to both the receiver and the bbl, then taking the bbl out for cleaning is now something of a whole 'nother order!

Could you ( or anyone else who actually has one on their gun!) Please share with the Group on this Tread about what is involved in this?

I can see the upside benefit of the optic mount, but want to know if there is downside to the KAC!

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Thanks!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Fail-Safe

Would you please let me know who has the KAC 870 RAS in stock.  I would like to get one, but I can't find one.

Thank You,

Mark  Hueser
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Hello All...

Bigger_hammer: takedown of an 870 equipped with an 870 RAS involves only one more step...removing the 1 hex headed fastner that attaches the rail to the RAS's steel barrel ring. The rail then lifts off, and the barrel assembly is removed from the shotgun as you would usually do it. After the barrel is removed, if you want to get at the bolt you'll need to removed the KAC steel ring, however this just slides out.

The best part: on the three that I have, they all retain their zero when put back together (this surprised the crap out of me).

IMHO, the biggest downside of the 870 RAS is that they are difficult to find.

Take care,

Brobee
www.tacticalshotgun.ca
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#18]
BrobeeBiter,

THANKS for the 411 on the KAC mount for the 870!

It sure is Kick Ass, but I was very worried that the mount to the bbl would make it either a b!tch to clean (removal of bbl = surgery) or that it would lose point of aim if / when the bbl came off!

Thanks again for the first hand experience with your guns!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay, I'm going to show my ignorance here: why would you disassemble the shotgun and remove the barrel for cleaning?  I do all my maintenance from the muzzle end and when I do occaisionally remove the barrel (such as when I added the KAC 870RAS) the shotgun is always as clean as a whistle.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, I saw a KAC 870 RAS, NIB,  for sale at a gunshow this weekend.   It was at a booth owned by a small company, in Austin, Texas called "Spreadfire".  I dont have any contact info, but one of the fellas there is big on computers, so I'm sure you can find them online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top