Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 11:24:32 AM EDT
I just bought a 1970's model 1100. i took it to the range the other day and it would not function with 2 3/4 3DR 8 shells. It is a magnum reciever. do I need to shoot hotter loads like Mag or Max or is there a mod i can do to the reciever.  The bolt goes back but not far enough to eject the round.  Any help is appreciated, THANKS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it clean? Is the rubber "o" ring in good shape? That's where I would start before doing anything dramatic like opening up the gas ports.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
She's clean, relatively new gas ring. My buddy put my piston rings and o-ring on his gun and it worked fine then I put his stuff in my gun and it still had problems.  I dint want to open the gas port because this will be my goose and turkey gun and I don't want to over power the spring shooting the bigger loads.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My 11/87 Police wouldn't run on anything but the heavy dram stuff.

With Remingtons it's one or the other. Heavy or light. They beat themselves up if you open the gas ports for light stuff and then run heavy stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the older magnum 1100's required full "magnum" loads to function correctly...either 3" or the 2 3/4". That would be my guess as to why it is not working with the light loads. The idea was, apparently, that you bought the magnim to shoot the heavy stuff only.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the older magnum 1100's required full "magnum" loads to function correctly...either 3" or the 2 3/4". That would be my guess as to why it is not working with the light loads. The idea was, apparently, that you bought the magnim to shoot the heavy stuff only.

+1

The 1100 mags, Like the old S&W of that era, only ran with full loads.
It's a gas port size thing as you already know, and if you drill the ports, forget about going back to mag Loads.  

Now on the other hand, if you get your hands on a second barrel, you could have your cake and eat it too. Might be a good idea since your current choke is most likely Full, and the new replacement barrel have tubes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
A 2nd barrel might be a good solution. I bought a slug barrel from Midway that has 2 gas ports and cycles 2 3/4 just fine. In fact, I took it skeet shooting yesteday and had no issues of any sort.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
THANKS for all the help.....I sent out this barrel to Carlson's and had it cut down and tubed so it can be all purpose......I really only need the 2 3/4 for trap and my 3 gun matches....I bought some field grade mag loaded birdshot today and will head to the range tommorrow to test it out....Thanks again for all the responses
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is it clean? Is the rubber "o" ring in good shape? That's where I would start before doing anything dramatic like opening up the gas ports.

I SECOND THAT MOTION!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Just thought I'd drop my two cents in here, although it doesn't exactly apply.  I happened upon an 1100 (non-magnum) at a gun show and bought it...turns out it was a 1963 model, the first year it came out.  Had metal gas rings and all...it was in quite good shape.

Anyway, I never had a problem shooting lighter loads in it...never a FTF or anything.  Like I said, though, this was a non-mag so I'm sure the gas port setup was different, etc.

Travis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top