Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 5:12:23 PM EDT
Well, I was at the gun store today looking at guns.  Thought about getting another Glock 23 but I have one already, and then to the HK's but just bought an HK USP Compact .45 last month.  After thinking about what to get, I finally decided on what to get, so, I picked up a Benelli M1 semi-auto shotgun.  Ill post pics when I pick it up next friday. But does anyone own one of these bad boys or have any feedbacks about the Benelli M1? Thanx
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a M1 super 90 now for about 10 years and it used to be my primary skeet gun until I got my Beretta 682 Gold Sporting over/under.

Mine has the older style stock where the sling slivel is fixed in the stock, it was the current style back then.  

Nice gun, hardly ever jams, easy to clean, no gas piston or o-ring to worry about.

For me it could use a 1/2" longer butt pad.

Oh yeah, get the +4 extension tube :-)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
How much is the +4?????????? I want that.

Quoted:
I've had a M1 super 90 now for about 10 years and it used to be my primary skeet gun until I got my Beretta 682 Gold Sporting over/under.

Mine has the older style stock where the sling slivel is fixed in the stock, it was the current style back then.  

Nice gun, hardly ever jams, easy to clean, no gas piston or o-ring to worry about.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the older ones when they were imported by H&K. I love mine. You do need to fire heavier loads in it though. Those 7/8 oz. dove loads won't function the bolt. I generally use 1 1/8 oz. loads in mine.    

I have a factory 2 rd. extension with the spring if you are interested. I purchased a 4 rd. a while back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of us here have the Benelli M1 Super90s...excellent guns. They do not take well to the addition of sidesaddle ammo carriers on the receivers, and my experience has been that they tend to run more reliably with full powered loads...although both of mine work fine with reduced power Federal "Tactical" buckshot. (I still keep 'em loaded with full 2 3/4" buck or 2 3/4" magnum buck loads for peace of mind). I prefer them to any and all other auto shotguns of my experience, but the new M4 is said to be better still. I will probably never know since I just can't see me ever ponying up over a grand for a shotgun! For lots of use with heavy buck / slug loads they are far ahead of guns like the Rem. 1100 or 1187 in their durability and reliability in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#5]
How much?

Quoted:
I have one of the older ones when they were imported by H&K. I love mine. You do need to fire heavier loads in it though. Those 7/8 oz. dove loads won't function the bolt. I generally use 1 1/8 oz. loads in mine.    

I have a factory 2 rd. extension with the spring if you are interested. I purchased a 4 rd. a while back.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok,this is my first shotgun ever, i don't know what kind of shells to use.  Can you suggest what brand,size,and any other information i need to know bout the shells,thanx

Quoted:
Lots of us here have the Benelli M1 Super90s...excellent guns. They do not take well to the addition of sidesaddle ammo carriers on the receivers, and my experience has been that they tend to run more reliably with full powered loads...although both of mine work fine with reduced power Federal "Tactical" buckshot. (I still keep 'em loaded with full 2 3/4" buck or 2 3/4" magnum buck loads for peace of mind). I prefer them to any and all other auto shotguns of my experience, but the new M4 is said to be better still. I will probably never know since I just can't see me ever ponying up over a grand for a shotgun! For lots of use with heavy buck / slug loads they are far ahead of guns like the Rem. 1100 or 1187 in their durability and reliability in my experience.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Ammo...as pointed out by stgb, they should do OK with most anything from a minimum of 1 1/8oz of shot and up.

Shotshells (not always with Buck or slugs however) will be marked in the following manner...3 1/4 / 1 1/4 / #8...or similar...the first number is the amount of powder, measured in "dram-equivalent" (3 1/4)...just remember the higher this number is, the more powder and, usually, the more velocity and recoil...second number is the weight of the shot charge in ounces (here it is 1 1/4oz)...and the last is the size of the shot (#8). This just happens to have been my most favorite dove and quail load years ago when I hunted...maybe one day I'll tell you about the dove I killed in Georgia while he was perched on a cloud! The larger the shot size number, the smaller the shot...no, it does not make sense...we are speaking about shotshells, and many things about them defy logic.

There are some very light-loaded shotshells out there for small game hunting, clay target shooting and practice, etc. many with only 7/8oz. of shot. The Benelli needs a certain amount of recoil in order for the inertia operated action to function correctly, and typically, these shells do not provide that minimum level. While they won't harm the gun, they will probably be a PITA with failures to eject or feed the next round, etc. The major US ammo companies are also making "reduced recoil" or...good marketing move here..."Tactical" Buck and slug loads these days that are working very well in the field. You will probably find that after a few hundred rounds of lighter, less expensive loads to get it well broken-in, your Benelli will function with most, if not all, of them. Mine have zero problems with the Federal Tactical loads or slugs. I have never fired any Rem. or WW reduced loads in them, so cannot say for sure about that.

"Standard" Buck and slug loads are more powerful than the reduced / Tactical loads due to having more powder and, sometimes, more shot as well. The Benelli will thrive on them, but your shoulder may complain. The 2 3/4in. "Magnum" loads will contain even more powder and shot, and will...I assure you...definitely make an impression on you! You do not need any 3in. Magnum rounds for defense use, even if you should have a gun that will fire them. They will have more shot, but will deliver lower velocity than the "short magnum" loads, reduce magazine capacity, and generally are not worth the added expense or added recoil.

Manufacturers are constantly changing loads, playing with different powders, shot hardness, and stuff with ALL ammo...not just shotshells, and shotguns are the most "individual" of firearms in the respect that your gun may shoot great patterns with a specific load, but the very next one off the same assembly line will not shoot that load for shit...go figure...but it is the truth. YOU will need to try several different loads to see which your Benelli prefers. My preference runs strongly to Federal Tactical for reduced loaded Buck and WW for standard loaded Buck, but many here get excellent results from other ammo. I will not shoot most foreign Buck or slugs in my guns because I have seen too much of it that is pure crap, but some guys use various stuff that seems to work fine for them.

This is only very basic and minimal info on shotgun ammo...do some web searches and read up on it...there is a lot to learn, and I sure as Hell don't know it all!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much is the +4?????????? I want that.

Quoted:

I got mine 6 or 7 years ago from R guns for about $65, a quick yahoo search found one for  $70

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/BenelliMagExtensions.htm

Mine didn't come with the swing swivel, I had to transfer it from my stock extension plug to the +4 extension tube, fwiw

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ammo...as pointed out by stgb, they should do OK with most anything from a minimum of 1 1/8oz of shot and up.

Shotshells (not always with Buck or slugs however) will be marked in the following manner...3 1/4 / 1 1/4 / #8...or similar...the first number is the amount of powder, measured in "dram-equivalent" (3 1/4)...just remember the higher this number is, the more powder and, usually, the more velocity and recoil...second number is the weight of the shot charge in ounces (here it is 1 1/4oz)...and the last is the size of the shot (#8). This just happens to have been my most favorite dove and quail load years ago when I hunted...maybe one day I'll tell you about the dove I killed in Georgia while he was perched on a cloud! he

I use reloaded 1 oz #8 shot 3 gram equivalent loads in my M1 Field Super90, never jams.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok,this is my first shotgun ever, i don't know what kind of shells to use.  Can you suggest what brand,size,and any other information i need to know bout the shells,thanx

what you plan on shooting?  You should do fine for starters with the cheapie dove and qail loads like you buy at Walmart in a 100 rd box for $14.47 or whatever.  That being said, dove and quail loads are good on dove and quail and not bigger game.   If you get into buckshot, a box of 25 might cost $12.

The most fun you can have with a shotgun IMHO is shootiing moving flying targets, take up skeet, trap, or sporting clays and blast those little flying disks into smithereens and watch the little pieces fall back to the ground.

If I wanted to blast 1 gallon milk jugs full of water, I'd go with buck shot
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my new Benelli i picked up todayhttp://c.myspace.com/00027/33/50/27460533_l.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top