Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 6:40:24 AM EDT
Is there any down side to those shell carriers that wrap around the stock?  Like do they move around too easy?  I would think they would be the carrier of choice because they're so cheap.  But I guess maybe a side saddle is "cooler" and probably more durable.  Plus, I realize everybody is not as cheap as me!!

Does anybody got any opinions on those wrap around the stock shell carriers?  I thought I saw someone with a posted picture in the picture thread that had one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Thing I don't like about the elastic shell holders is they do stretch a bit and come loose after a while.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
"Thing I don't like about the elastic shell holders is they do stretch a bit and come loose after a while. "

Yeah, and I don't like the way they sometimes effect my cheek weld... The plusses are as noted - they're cheap and easy to put on - also, they don't leave any permanent marks on a gun, should one decide to take them off later on... I've used them in the past, but don't any more...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Gee, Mike - I guess he didn't save any money on that deal, huh??? Sorry to hear it, bud...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
points taken.  I was thinking that might be the case.  I got a pouch that holds 12 and attaches to a military web belt.  I'll just stick with that for now for my hunting.  I'm still trying to figure a good way to have some ready but not loaded.  I keep my go to long arm in the closet.  With ar's you just pop the loaded clip in and ready to go.  I like that because I've got a 4 year old who's very interested in guns and having one loaded just doesn't sit right with me.  My dad did it but my son is very curious and strong headed.  I discipline him regularily and he's still got a mind of his own (I think that's good though).  But you see what I mean.  So I'm trying to come up with a speedy way to load one up if I'm going to use it as my go to long arm in my house.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
If this is a home defense gun, in addition to hunting, butt stock shell holders have a serious downside.  If you have to shoot from your weak-side shoulder, it's difficult and painful with one of those things fully loaded.  Being able to shoot on the weak-side is very important, because there are just as many weak-side corners in your house (and the world) as there are strong-side corners.  

At very close ranges (like in your house), you can't use cover effectively if you are working a left-side corner with the gun at your right shoulder and vice-versa.  Most of your torso comes out of cover before your gun clears the corner.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The cheap koplin ones suck. They stretch out and you loose rounds. I have used a blackhawk one for the last two years. I have never had rounds fall out. The inside pocket can hold more rounds. I have never had a problem with searching buildings with it on and I do that often. Of course I have never went to using it left handed...of course in 18 plus years of law enflrcement I have never heard of going week hand to do a search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top