Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 7:58:30 PM EDT
what do you guys think about a 6in barrel pump action for home defense, it holds 2 rds and 1 in the chamber.  I understand that you would need alot more than that for a gunfight but i also have a .40sw ar15, and an ak, and I didnt just want to add another long arm.  this would be transfered as an aow and also has a vertical pistol grip and no buttstock.  

has anyone ever shot one, i have shot 12 gauge 18in barrel with only pistol grips and the kick was tolerable and controlable, but how much difference would shorter barrel make.

or would you guys recommend a coach gun registered as an sbs also known as a sawed off sg.

I'm really looking for a shotgun i can holster, im trying to stay away from the long barrelled ones.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The gunpowder used in shotgun loads takes about 14" to achieve full burn, hence to push the wad to around 1200 FPS.  

At 6" of barrel including chamber, you may as well forget to use any gun power, because the only pressure behind the wad will just be the primer charge, with the gunpowder burning after it leaves the muzzle.

Can't really tell if you are just retarded or a troll, but will give you the benefit of the doubt, and just remind you to cinch up the straps on your foam helmet before getting on the short bus to take you to school.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Pass on these conversation pieces...which is about all they are. In the old, old days, the sucker bet used to be that I would bet you $10 that your WW M12 would not shoot through a hat. The way to win the bet was to take the barrel off. The M12 extractor would hold the case tight to the breech block and fire it with no barrel in place...and it would not penetrate the hat with bird shot.  Now a 6in. barrel will, of course, do better than that, but you are not gonna get a lot of power out of it. Not to mention that unless you shove it up his nose, you have a very good chance of missing with a pistol-grip only shotgun at more than 10 feet or so. "Gunfights" in the house? A "holstered" shotgun? I think you may need to stop watching so many movies or so much TV!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Calm down fellas, he's more than likely referring to the Serbu Super Shorty, a modified Mossberg 500 AOW with a 6.5" bbl., and it's about 15.5" OAL. Plenty of these have been sold. I would recommend using one of these with Aguila minishells, as they will extend the capacity of the weapon, and produce less recoil. Seems like an interesting toy, but I don't know much about the terminal ballistics of a shotgun.
Here is a picture of the weapon in question:
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I never said I was a know it all, and although I'm pretty familiar with alot of weapons, shotguns is something I've never had,  I use one at work but that doesnt mean anything I just know how to use it.  

Hey dano wanna look at a retard, take a look in the mirror, but it was a point well taken about the long barrel thanks.

LR thats the one I'm talking about, Impact sells it.  I knew about the aguilia shot shells but I was wondering about the regular shot shells, it seems with the info in this thread that regular shotgun shells would not be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
nchapa: Here is a link to the Serbu Super Shorty webpage Super Shorty, and if you are looking for info on the patterning and effectiveness of full-size shotshells, I would recommend that you e-mail the designer of the weapon, Mark Serbu, at: [email protected]
I will say that ,from what I have read, Aguila minishells only cycle infallibly in Winchester 1300 pump-action shotguns.
From the video found HERE, recoil does not seem to be excessive. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks LR I emailed Mark Serbu and I'll post here what he replies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Once again Dano523 with his award winning personality has answered another question correctly. Apparently Dano did not have the time to attend the last sensitivity workshop held in the spring here at ARF. Hopefully he will join us for the fall semester. MIKE.

Hey dano gave me shit once too.  But it is his style that makes him great.

I want a shotgun AOW some day as a total novelty, maybe to bust locks with slugs?  Even thought it might be fun to try and bust a few pheasants on the fly with one, but certainly not for any real defensive uses.  More for a fun pack gun.

PS show me a shotgunner who has passed a sensitivity training class and I will say he is a liar.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Can't really tell if you are just retarded or a troll, but will give you the benefit of the doubt, and just remind you to cinch up the straps on your foam helmet before getting on the short bus to take you to school.

Jesus... So much for civility.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I think one would be cool just to have thats about it.

For the price plus transfer time and cost Id skip it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top