Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 2:50:40 PM EDT
Tacstar claims their side sadde requires no mods to the receiver, but they appear to be bolted onto it, which is a mod if I ever saw one. How are these fastened? I understand the 3gungear side saddles actually stick to the receiver. I this true, or are they attached w/ velcro straps?

Also anyone use or have knowledge of the Bushmaster synthetic SG heat shield? How does it compare to the std. metal variety?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
M_B,

I believe that the TacStar side saddles operate like some of the other attachments that are available for shotgun receivers, i.e. Carey Closer for Beretta's, etc.  Not sure whether the Velcro is involved but something is definitely going to be adhesively contacting the left side of the receiver.  Whether it's the "loop" portion of the Velcro, or whether it is the whole side saddle, it's gonna stick.  But the little hole on the right side is likely for engagement of a replacement pin that you will put in your receiver.

For example, if I recall, the trigger pin is pushed out of the receiver, and the TacStar replacement is then pushed in its place.  The Tac Star version of the pin does everything that the Benelli pin did, but is LONGER and sticks out past the surface of the receiver.  Therefore, the protruding pin goes into the Side Saddle hole to help keep the whole thing from shifting side to side.

You sould like you're interested in the 3 Gun stuff, too.  That's where I'm headed with my Benelli M4, AR-15 mutt I just built, and my Kimber TLE/RL II.  Damn, this can be an expensive hobby....

ipguy
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tacstar claims their side sadde requires no mods to the receiver, but they appear to be bolted onto it, which is a mod if I ever saw one. How are these fastened? I understand the 3gungear side saddles actually stick to the receiver. I this true, or are they attached w/ velcro straps?

Also anyone use or have knowledge of the Bushmaster synthetic SG heat shield? How does it compare to the std. metal variety?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, you just replace the 2 reciever pins with the tacstar ones to get the side saddle to attach.  It's an easy mod and is not permanent.

I had the synthetic heat shield on my 870, it is a waste of money.  It slid around the barrel and eventually just snapped off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
ipguy - do you prefer 3gungear? If so, why? I understand they stick on the receiver. Since the tacstar doesn't use any adhesive & doesn't mod the receiver, why would the 3gungear version be preferrable? Does it offer better shotshell containment?

EseLoco918 - I had a Mossburg 590 (A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...), & it had a metal heat shield which actually held up well. Would you recommend against heat shields altogether, or just the synthetic variety?

Thanks, gentlemen
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ipguy - do you prefer 3gungear? If so, why? I understand they stick on the receiver. Since the tacstar dfoesn't use any adhesive & doesn't mod the receiver, why would the 3gungear version be preferrable? Does it offer better shotshell containment?

I am told that the shells stay inserted in the loops when the gun recoils on the 3 Gun Gear side saddle.  Also, depending on how long your receiver is, you may be able to use a 3 Gun Gear side saddle that carries more than six shells.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ipguy - do you prefer 3gungear? If so, why? I understand they stick on the receiver. Since the tacstar doesn't use any adhesive & doesn't mod the receiver, why would the 3gungear version be preferrable? Does it offer better shotshell containment?

M_B,

I am new to this stuff, but learning quickly.  From what I see of the 3gungear equipment, I really like it.  The 3gungear products look like they were designed by people who participate in these matches a lot, and that probably says something about the quality.  I see that the "side saddle" is offered in 6, 7, and 8 round capacities.  Since the Benelli's have such a long receiver in comparison to other models, I think the 8-rd side saddle would be great.  I can't figure a situation where I would want to remove it once it's on, but even so, I'm sure you can get it off and remove any residual adhesive.  Yeah, it might affect the bluing and all, but I'll have to take that chance.

I'm also looking at a sling for the M4 from www.spectergear.com/benelli_cqb_sling.htm.  Thinking about putting my Eotech 552 on top of it too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#6]
ip,

Thanks again. I guess the tacstar looks like it would work fine. I was originally under the impression that the 3gungear simply mounted around the receiver via velcro wraps. The adhesive aspect has me hesitating. Just don;'t like the idea of sticking something to the gun. The tacstar doesn't mod the receiver, but it doesn't seem to get the praise that 3gungear does. I assume oyu've got one coming int? Love to hear how it works. Are you even considering a steel heat shield for the bbl?

BTW - There's still some grumbling concerning the legality of the collapsible pg stock on the M4 going on. I thought we'd clarified the matter in the other thread, but there are still naysayers - not that I'd fault them. It's a healthy dose of skepticism & paranoia, to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Tac-Star Side Saddle on my 590 and a 500 as well as a the 3GunGear on my Remington 1100.  IIRC, 3GG doesn't work overly well with a pump action but I beleive that is only if the particular model's forearm overlaps the receiver....

I like the Tac Star sidesaddle.... But I LOVE the 3GG.  The nylon retains the shells a lot better- although the shells are harder to load into the 3GG.  The Tac-Star is easy to load, but if the shells are inserted from the bottom up, they have a tendency to work themselves out of the SS under recoil.

As far as heat shields- I'm a fan of them. (Steel not poly) I flip the shotgun over, "Turn & Burn" style when I reload or I'll flip it over my collarbone with the receiver bottom right by my face.  Either way I do this- I have my weak hand on the barrel.  Some folks don't think you can get a shotgun hot enough to burn your hand, apprently there are those who use shotguns with a high rate of fire, and those who don't.  I burned the hell out of my hand at my first 3-gun match.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
M_B, I haven't ordered any "stuff" yet for the M4 (which should be in on Wed), other than the stock and extension.  Waiting until I get paid...   I'd like to try the heat shield for the barrel, but I just can't figure out how the hell that thing fits between the barrel and the forestock.  On the M4, being a semi, there should be a real tight fit already.  I can see using that on a pump, because there HAS to be some "air" there.  Putting any sheet metal between those would seem difficult.  But, hey, for $20 or so, I wouldn't be out all that much if it just didn't work.  But, I sure hope it does, because I can easily see getting burned by the barrel.  I shoot a lot of skeet and trap with my Beretta 391 and it does get HOT.  Blowing quickly through 20 rounds or more during a 3 Gun course ... that thing's gonna be smokin'.

On the legal issues, I'm over it (for now).  Benelli's not saying anything officially about it, because they don't want anyone who gets arrested to sue them for "detrimental reliance".  FYI, I'm a lawyer, so it is a concern, but my own research tells me that the M4 wasn't ever identified by ATF as an imported firearm that was subject to the import ban.  Not only that, but it could be a "surplus military firearm" under the same provisions, since it's been adopted by the U.S. forces (not sure which at this point though).  But, I will stay tuned for any news to the contrary.

Sly, that's good info on the 3GG stuff.  I saw how the 3GG side saddle was mounted so that the shells are upside down to ease reloading, so I can definitely understand the importance of a firm grip on your ammo!  You have a metal heat shield (from TacStar?) on your 1100?  Was there enough daylight between the barrel and the forestock to slide it in there?  Thanks for the great info.

ipguy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
EseLoco918 - I had a Mossburg 590 (A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...), & it had a metal heat shield which actually held up well. Would you recommend against heat shields altogether, or just the synthetic variety?

I hate the synthetic ones, just too fragile for anything but looks.

I have heard the metal ones slide around on the 870 due to a magic missing part...Haven't experienced that as I have not yet replaced my broken synthetic one.  Hopefully they stay in place fine.

I do like heat shields though, it's really easy to heat up a barrel in AZ.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]

By ipguy: You have a metal heat shield (from TacStar?) on your 1100? Was there enough daylight between the barrel and the forestock to slide it in there?

No, the HS is on my pump actions. (590 & 500)  The 1100 has as Vent Rib which precludes the use of a HS.  However, the Vent Rib doesn't do too good of a job shielding my hand from heat- so I usually remember to grab a glove after the first blisters of the day.

Sly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top