Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:07 AM EDT
I currently have a Remy 870 with both a 18in (defense) and a 26in (for hunting). I recently helped out a buddy with his home network, in exchange he offered me an old Remy 870 20in barrel if I want it.

Here is what I'm thinking. Cut the old barrel down to 18in and swap it with my 18in barrel (which is still in excellent condition). Then I'll just store my barrel away as a spare.

My question is: What's the easiest way to cut a barrel, and not have it look like some crack-addict did it .

I know I could just buy a used 18in. But if I can get the barrel for free, and cut it myself, that leaves more cash for other goodies .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
What about just having a gunsmith trim it down for ya? Shouldn't run more than maybe $25, or so.

I only ask because unless you have the proper tools and know-how, it will most likely look like a hack-job.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the 20" barrel have any choke in it?  If so, cutting it down will likely remove the choke leaving you with a cylinder bore.  

You can cut the barrel down with a hacksaw, metal cutting band saw or large pipe cutter.  Make sure you clean up any burrs inside and out.  You will also have to drill and tap the barrel for the front bead sight if you want to reinstall it.

Not sure if 2" are worth all that trouble when you can find 18" barrels pretty cheap on the auction sites.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies gents! To answer some questions:

1. Most of the gunsmiths in my area are thieves. So I figure if it's pretty easy, I'll just do it myself and save some bucks.

2. I don't think the 20in has any choke in it. I'm pretty sure it's just a standard smootbore. I have a pipe cutter and dies/taps (not sure if I have the right size though) to cut the barrel and re-install the sight. I agree that used 18in barrels are pretty cheap, but FREE is always better!

3. I'm very fussy, and like having spare parts for everything I own. So I like the idea of being able to stash away a spare barrel for the Remy.

I think I'll give it a shot, and worst case if I screw it up, it would not have cost me any money. At which point I'll just go ahead and look for a used one. I was just worried that there was some special trick or procedure when cutting a shoty barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
308_Scout;

The only suggestion I would have is that if you have never done this before, maybe you might want to try your first cut at 19 inches, so if you f**k the barrel up, you don't lose it due to it being too short. If you do the first cut with no problems, then do the 18in. cut...although I always leave a shotgun at 18 1/4 minimum just because I feel better with that 1/4in. fudge factor.

BTW you DO know how the ATF measures the length, right? Don't get yourself in trouble over something like this! Dowell into the bore...length is from the breech face to the shortest point at the end of the muzzle...which means that if you make a crooked cut at 18in. you could be illegal...don't take chances with this...ATF don't play!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
308_Scout;

The only suggestion I would have is that if you have never done this before, maybe you might want to try your first cut at 19 inches, so if you f**k the barrel up, you don't lose it due to it being too short. If you do the first cut with no problems, then do the 18in. cut...although I always leave a shotgun at 18 1/4 minimum just because I feel better with that 1/4in. fudge factor.

BTW you DO know how the ATF measures the length, right? Don't get yourself in trouble over something like this! Dowell into the bore...length is from the breech face to the shortest point at the end of the muzzle...which means that if you make a crooked cut at 18in. you could be illegal...don't take chances with this...ATF don't play!

Good suggestions! I did not even think about cutting it a little longer incase I screw up.

The length part I really was not worried about. I figured I'd use my factory 18in barrel as a reference for the correct length.

Good tips..THANKS!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Good luck with the barrel bobbing!

Off topic but - I am still enjoying the 16" upper you sold me
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good luck with the barrel bobbing!

Off topic but - I am still enjoying the 16" upper you sold me

WOW, that was what..a couple years ago

Man my memory sucks, glad to hear the upper is spittin lead. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I've bobbed several for friends.
Using the factory as a guide is good BUT for insurance add .250 to the length.
This will allow for BATF dues with bad rulers or if you fungo the cut, a few passes with a file.
I used a pipe cutter and plenty of oil.
De grease and apply masking tape  over the entire area to be cut.
Mark the barrel at 18.25 and slowly cut and tighten as you go.
Speed is your enemy especially at the end when the barrel is thinnest.
Flat file any burs and then sand out any irregularities or slight bulges inside the barel.
Running a Cotton ball into the borte will show any spots that need touching up.
Warm barrel with hair drier and cold blue.

If you have alot of free time and enjoy the work it is rewarding...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top