Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:39:16 PM EDT
I have a mossberg 500.  Wood stock.  I feel like the trigger is almost a hair too far for my short fingers.  It's also smooth (trigger).  I now have a dillema.  I may start using my shotgun more for deer hunting, and keep it handy for home defense.  Oh and also I may take it coyote hunting, due to firearems restrictions in certain areas.  But my question is does anyone have a solution for this problem?  Or has anyone else seem to have this problem too?  And did you fix it somehow.  It's obvious that the 870's have a shorter distance from grip to the trigger.  You can see how the metal on the reciever is right in line with the back of the trigger guard where the mossberg's continues back for a little bit before the stock starts.  The only other thing is I noticed at the gun store when I picked a variety of shotguns up, I thought the remmy was a little thin through the grip.  The 590 I picked up seemed almost perfect, but it had the synthetic stock.  Does the synthetic pistol grip curve maybe a little quicker than my wood ones?  It would be nice to know if anyone else has had this experience before I just go blowing a bunch of money over nothing.  I could probably live with this situation but I have a feeling it's going to knaw at me until I figure something out.  Help!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
.... It's obvious that the 870's have a shorter distance from grip to the trigger.

You have discovered the answer to your own question in this statement. Sell the Mossberg and get the Remington if the trigger reach is that important for you.....ECS
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Change the grip or stock all stocks are not the same size  type in search on the web for stocks for your guns they should have length of pulls shown for them. Good luck www.cdnninvestments has some stocks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know ecs, it seems to shoot pretty well.  Maybe I'll trade sometime but I'm worried that if I know it works well, then I get rid of it and get one that doesn't work as good.  Of course.  I'll have to think about it.  Are you an 870 guy?  

Thank you m4 tuna.  If you look close, it appears that maybe even the factory mossberg synthetic stock may even curve sooner and may fit better.  It's a big "maybe" though.  Plus I like the look of the wood.  I was wondering maybe I'm making more of it than it really is.  Let me ask you this, when I got a good grip on it, the trigger lays into the first knuckle / crease.  If I'm moving around a little it kind of wants to go out to the first pad / towards finger tip.  Is this about normal?  Or no?  I wonder if it's possible to get the trigger grooved or something like that?  It'd be a shame though because it'sa pretty gold finish now.  I guess that's what some guys call bling bling.  I don't really much care what color it is though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
well must companies will let  try it out if you dont like just send it back
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Try different stocks.  I pistol grip stock or a regular style youth gun stock might do it for you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
oh yeah the bantam,  I should look at that one in wood!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top