Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 8:24:25 AM EDT
I fell into a good deal on a tactical type Mossy 500. The little missus doesn't like a loaded pistol in the bedroom, but is OK with a shotgun - go figure.

Anyway, I want to add a light and sights, but I don't know the makers-I am new to the tactical shotgun scene. I know I am not interested in paying 1G for a Wilson/Scattergun technologies when I should be able to build my own for half that price.

I have seen forends with integral lights and some sigh options. Can anyone give me some advice on a unitized light/forend that doesn't cost the price of the gun? I'd prefer this over a clamp on unit just for the security... I'd hate to lose the light banging around in the dark, you know. And some advice on sights too - I am thinking a ghost ring with either a tritium or tru-glow front sight. Good options?

This will never be used for hunting... strictly a home defense arm with the requisite 'if it's ever used, it will probably be used in the dark' planning, so are there any better options? All my shotgun shooting has been at game in the daytime, so I have no experience shooting any type of shotgun sight at night.

Thanks for any advice
Mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge, Surefire makes the only integral foreend / weaponlight.  Yep, its expensive.  You don't get something for nothing.  You either pay the big bucks and get the slick set-up, or you pay less and get something not-so-slick (a clamp on).

In my humble opinion, night sights aren't necessary on gun with a weaponlight.  If its dark enough for the night sights to start glowing, you should be using your weaponlight to identify your target.  When the weaponlight is on, your front sight is perfectly backlit.

Mossberg's ghost ring sight is simple and durable.  The rear sight will mount directly into the holes that are already drilled and tapped on your receiver.  You will have to have the front sight soldered on.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that what they do with the front?  I was wondering how they stayed on because of the thin barrel.  So that back sight does go right into those holes they put in the top of the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Mark,

Option for lighting are pretty much the Sure-Fire lights (integrated to fore end) or seperated units.

Streamlight also makes a clip on unit (the  M-3) that has a detachable base.

Both are good units, but I have the Sure-Fire fore arm on my 870 and sleep soundly knowing that come rain, dark, hail or hell it will let me see the scene and light it up before I light them off!

C.R.B. - A.K.A. "Bigger Hammer"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
For ghost ring sights the MMC sights are the easiest to install if you're not set up for doing silver solder because the front clamps around the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
For a house shotgun, ghost ring sights are a complete waste of money. Those come into their own if you want to shoot slugs @ 50 yards or more while still retaining most of the "quick point" ability of the shotgun. Save a bunch of money and do yourself a favor and just get a tritium front bead--that's all you'll ever need in the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top