Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 9:19:50 AM EDT
I've got a Saiga 12 sitting at my dealers waiting for me to pick up.  It's the 19" barrel with choke tubes and the bolt hold open feature.  I paid $340 delivered.  I plan on converting it to a pistol grip with a full stock soon.  

Can anyone point me toward a good place for parts?  I doubt that the standard AK stock will work because I belive that the Saiga 12 receiver is a different size from the 7.62x39 receiver.  

Without it in front of me, can anyone tell me where I can get parts to convert it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've got a Saiga 12 sitting at my dealers waiting for me to pick up.  It's the 19" barrel with choke tubes and the bolt hold open feature.  I paid $340 delivered.  I plan on converting it to a pistol grip with a full stock soon.  

Can anyone point me toward a good place for parts?  I doubt that the standard AK stock will work because I belive that the Saiga 12 receiver is a different size from the 7.62x39 receiver.  

Without it in front of me, can anyone tell me where I can get parts to convert it?

Thanks.

You're going to need more than just the stock and pistol grip to convert it legally.  You will still have to swap enough of the OEM parts with USA made parts in order to comply with 922r before you can legally add a pistol grip and full stock.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT....I would love to do this too...any new info yet...

P.S...Hey Johnny!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BTT....I would love to do this too...any new info yet...

P.S...Hey Johnny!

Hey HK dude. I finished mine and it turned out great. IM gonna refinish it in the next couple of weeks. I put an ace folder on it, FAL grip and Tapco fire control group. Conversion was pretty easy and took about 2 hours including repainting underside where the trigger is relocated.

ETA: I also used the red stararms shephards hook replacement. Took some slight modifying but worked out great.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
That is One B-A-D  MoFo!!!

SSWWEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!!!!!

Makes me want to run out and get on a project like this!!!

Bigger Hammer
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
To comply with 922r you cant have over 10 foreign parts. Since my shotgun is comprised of 13 I replaced the grip, stock and FCG with US parts.

Tips:
Use a dremel if you dont have access to air tools(die grinders/pencil grinders)

Use a grinding stone to remove the head of rivets and punch them out to remove.

I used duplicolor BLACK engine paint to redo the exposed area that isnt painted where the new trigger location will go.

For the trigger gaurd I used the existing hole to mount the rear part and tig welded two spots for the front since there is no hole there.

To mark my cutout lines for the PG nut I used a set of calipers to roughly scribe my lines as to where to cut.

To cut out the square hole for PG nut I used a mini cut-off disc found in most dremel kits.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome...Bravo!

I may have to buy one and get started.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm starting to feel the love for the Saiga, if its reliable and softer shooting than a traditional pump I think it may be the ultimate defensive shotgun.  Can you Saiga owners tell me how reliable it is.  Is it finicky with particular loads like the Benellis?  Will it keep shooting with a lot of crud in the action like an AK (I would assume so)?  How much does it weigh?  Is it about the weight and size of an AK?

Thanks

[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top