Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 2:46:38 PM EDT
im considering adding a 5 round extension tube to my 870.  

im concerned that some of the shot may strike the tube & go unwanted places.

is my concern well founded?

btw, dont let the california address make you prejudiced.  i lived in north central ohio & east tennessee for 28 years before moving to this accursed state.  i would ask someone back home, but the time difference makes that kind of hard.

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
How long's your barrel?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
18.5 inches.

i have an offer to trade for a 20 even up if i need to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
By 5 round extension, do you mean an extension that ADDS 5 rounds to the 4 round magazine tube?
That would mean 10 shots total with the chamber loaded, and that tube would stick out awfully far.

A standard 18" barrel is usually fitted with a +2 extension which means a total of 7 rounds with the chamber loaded.  That would not stick out beyond the muzzle.

If you get a 20" barrel you can use a +3, or total of 8 rounds with the chamber loaded without sticking beyond the barrel.

The long 10 shot extensions are only for 26" barrels.  Putting one of these on a 18" or 20" barrel and there is a chance of the shot damaging the extension.

Plus, there's not enough support for that long an extension on a shorter barrel.  A not-to-hard bump will either bend something or knock the extension off.

In either case, the gun's original magazine tube is usually the part that gets damaged.  This means a trip back to Remington to have a new magazine tube installed.

Best advice: If you have a 18" barrel buy a +2 or 7 shot total extension.
If you get the 20", buy a +3 or 8 shot total extension.

Whatever you get, BUY AND USE A BARREL CLAMP.  The clamp prevents bending or knocking the extension off.  How strong the extension is doesn't matter.  The GUN'S magazine tube is the weak link.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
why thank you muchly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top