Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 1:30:20 AM EDT
Whats the deal? Cycling the action on my Wingmaster (all tactical'd out) is gettting to be a strain. I've done it about 1000 times, trying to get it to lighten up, no deal.... In contrast, my issued 870P (almost new, Im the first issue-ee) cycles very easily, almost falling open with vertical. What's the difference and how can I lighten up my Wingmaster?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a sidesaddle shell holder on it?  I noticed that my Wingmaster got a bit stiff when the sidesaddle screws were really torqued down (typical ham handed "tighten the screws until they stop & give it another 1/2 turn to make sure").  When I loosened the screws a skosh the action went back to normal.  There was just enuff flex in the reciever that the overly tightened screws were squeezing in the sides causing a bind.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Older Remingtons are made tighter, in case this is what you have.  I have one that is real precision made, old school.  It isn't slow to cycle or uncomfortable, but noticeably more precision than my two newer ones.  The blueing is shiney and the bolt is chrome.  They are fairly easy to take apart and polish, if you want to go that far.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Check to make sure the forend isn't contacting the barrel when pulled to the rear. Some of the Wingmaster barrels are a bit heavier,
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#4]
my wingmaster is 26 years old now and still is tighter and smoother than any of the new guns in the racks, only one gun I have ever seen that smoother... would say there is something up with yours, have you stripped it to look for wearing?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you have a sidesaddle shell holder on it?  I noticed that my Wingmaster got a bit stiff when the sidesaddle screws were really torqued down (typical ham handed "tighten the screws until they stop & give it another 1/2 turn to make sure").  When I loosened the screws a skosh the action went back to normal.  There was just enuff flex in the reciever that the overly tightened screws were squeezing in the sides causing a bind.

Yes, and I'll check that. Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Bent action rods?? I was talking to a gunsmith who is tricking out my new 870 and he says that is a common problem that will do just what you are saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top