Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 3:35:44 PM EDT
I really like the Wilson Scattegun a friend of mine has, BUT...is it worth the price or can one of the stock Remington 870's just as accurate or Is Wilson's "Remington STEAL" the best way to go?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For less money than the Wilson, you could buy your choice of Remington Police guns.
All you have to do is find a dealer who will special order for you.

DO NOT buy the BS about Remington not selling LE shotguns to "civilians".  They do, you just have to special order.

http://www.remingtonle.com

This is the way to go, since Wilson builds their guns on the cheaper Express model, while the Remington Police model is their top of the line gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion, probably not. An 870P is good out of the box. I would be truly shocked if the Wilson was anymore accurate than the 870s at Walmart. It is, after all, a smoothbore shotgun, not a rifle. Get an 870P and a catalog from Brownells and you can have everything Wilson puts on their guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I had Scattergun Technologies do my 1100 decades ago, very early. None of the extensive mods they do now, but that shotgun is bullet-proof. It has not in memory had a FTF/FTE/MALF. I change the o-ring regular-like, but that is it.

I've used the gun (18" barrel OAL) in Clays, Skeet, CQB, duty (entry guy), and woods gun. I've considered screwing in a choke, since obviously I can't score high on the formal ranges at 18" OAL. But for down-n-dirty, I am extremely satisfied. S&T melted all the internals to remove any sharp edges. The trigger is consistent and breaks nicely, and I am just as happy as a lark.

Now, if I could only find a RIS for the 1100.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Build your own.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The original SGT shotguns were a good deal, but since Wilson bought the company and nearly doubled the price, the 870P would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is the way to go, since Wilson builds their guns on the cheaper Express model, while the Remington Police model is their top of the line gun.

Has this always been the case?  I'm getting a Scattergun that was built in 2000 (which might have been before Wilson bought SGT, not sure...), and was wondering which Remy 870 model it was built on. {edit: Nevermind, confirmed that it was built on an Express}
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Try a JP....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
No.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
..... Wilson builds their guns on the cheaper Express model, while the Remington Police model is their top of the line gun.

An 870 receiver is an 870 receiver.  The difference is in the finish.  Since Wilson is going to refinish anyway, why spend xtra $$$??

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..... Wilson builds their guns on the cheaper Express model, while the Remington Police model is their top of the line gun.

An 870 receiver is an 870 receiver.  The difference is in the finish.  Since Wilson is going to refinish anyway, why spend xtra $$$??

I have no basis to comment.  But here is a FAQ from Vang Comp that I found:

"What is the difference between a Remington Express and a Police Magnum?"
The Remington Police Magnum shotgun is built heavier to withstand the
abuse and pounding that police departments inflict on their gear.  It has a
metal trigger assembly versus the Express's plastic assembly.  The Police
Magnum also has heavier springs (7 lb. sear disconnect spring versus's the
Express's 5 lb. disconnect spring).  The Police Magnum has a 22 inch
magazine spring versus a 16 inch magazine spring in the Express.  
The Police gun comes with a heavier lifter spring.  Each Police Magnum
comes with front and rear sling swivel studs.  These are just some of the
differences in the two guns.  Remember, you get exactly what you pay for.  
Both models function the same and digest the same ammo, so if you are
inclined to inflict this type of punishment on your guns then consider a
Police Magnum.  Otherwise the Express model will serve you very well.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I own a Scatterguns tech standard model and had a remington 870 LE model with the wood and the cost difference is too much for the wilson. Your better off putting it together or sticking with just a basic shotgun. I sold my Remington LE for 300 bucks and regret it. It was simple, reliable and light.  I'm debating getting a Benelli M4 now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, not worth it at all.  You can do everything that scattergun does to their models for a few hundred less so why bother.  I am just going to send an 870 police to vang comp for some barrel work and some new sights.  Too bad they can't finish it the color I want it in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I really like the Wilson Scattegun a friend of mine has, BUT...is it worth the price or can one of the stock Remington 870's just as accurate or Is Wilson's "Remington STEAL" the best way to go?

Thanks!

No, build your own.  Brownells will save you a ton if you can get stuff wholesale.  You just won't have the cool "scattergun tech" stamped on the side.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For less money than the Wilson, you could buy your choice of Remington Police guns.
All you have to do is find a dealer who will special order for you.

DO NOT buy the BS about Remington not selling LE shotguns to "civilians".  They do, you just have to special order.

http://www.remingtonle.com

Cheaper?  Maybe.  Since I have both, (actually 3 870's) I can say there is no difference in the action.  The only difference I can see is that older Remingtons are much tighter guns.  There was a class action lawsuit about barrel metalurgy, some point in the past.  The Express model has a dimple in the mag tube, that takes about 30 seconds to remove, in order to install the extended mag tube.  The P is usually parkerized, so that may be worth the extra $ to some.  I have my party gun coated with teflon.  

Forgot to mention.......accurate?  It IS a fricking shotgun, private cowboy!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The original SGT shotguns were a good deal, but since Wilson bought the company and nearly doubled the price, the 870P would be my choice.

I have to agree here. I sent my 1100 in to SGT right when it was sold to Wilson. I had to wait forever for everything to be moved. Then I got the gun back with less features for the same price. If I had to do it all over again I would have either #1 Bought a Benelli or #2 Sent it to Vang Comp.

The advantage to Vang Comp is the bbl work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Express has a plastic trigger group. I have never seen one of these broken or cause a failure to fire.

Thanks,
Lee

You wouldn't happen to know what year Remington changed to plastic would you? I think it was around 1999, but not sure. I have a `97 Express HD that I consider the equal of just about any 870 I've handled, and it has a metal trigger group (and no PC safety lock).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top