Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 11:14:40 PM EDT
My 870 is in it`s normal, right handed configuration.  I don`t mind the right handed receiver, but what I would like to do is configure the safety so that I can properly operate it with my left hand.  What parts would I need, and where can I get them?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Safeties are for women and children..
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get used to using it left handed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Mossberg 500 series, the safety is ambidextous.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My 870 is in it`s normal, right handed configuration.  I don`t mind the right handed receiver, but what I would like to do is configure the safety so that I can properly operate it with my left hand.  What parts would I need, and where can I get them?

I've heard on older 870s the safety can be switched out to work lefty.  I've never seen one like that and looking at my late 80s 870 Express there's no way mine can be switched.  Maybe the early ones had the trigger assy group machined a little differently.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get a Mossberg 500 series, the safety is ambidextous.

+1

I find that its easy to operate left handed.  I'm right handed but left eye dominant.  I've learned to shoot just about every longarm lefty and find I am more accurate that way.  The Mossberg ambi controls are no problem.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
So I`m guessing theres now way I can switch the side of the safety?

Alright, what about enlarged safeties? I don`t like the factory safety with the J-lock, as I have heard bad things about it.  What is a good alternative, the Wilson Combat safety (flat) or the Vang Comp safety (domed)?  Or are enlraged safeties out of the question in the case of a lefty shooter?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you're going to be putting an SST-870 on it as your other post suggests, it makes the safety easier to use left or right handed...it can be manipulated with the thumb and trigger finger back and forth.  The same is true with many other pistol grip configurations

Wow! That never crossed my mind.  Thanks.

So tell me about aftermarket safeties (see my post above).

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So tell me about aftermarket safeties (see my post above).

I don't bother with any of them...the ones I've used felt like they were too big and got in the way.  I rarely use the safety anyway, the only time I do is at competitions where the standard start position is safety on.

At home/in my trunk I leave it with the hammer down safety off so I can just rack the slide to chamber a round.  In the field I carry with an empty chamber, slide locked forward so it doesn't rattle.

O.K., that`s good info.  But, I really would like to replace the Remington J-lock safety.  I`ve heard of these things 'locking' on there own .  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
O.K., that`s good info.  But, I really would like to replace the Remington J-lock safety.  I`ve heard of these things 'locking' on there own .  Any suggestions?

Just buy a large head safety from Wilson Combat or Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just buy a large head safety from Wilson Combat or Brownells.

That is what I plan to do.  The problem is choosing which one is better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I too am left handed and seem to do fine with the regular safety in all my 870. Parrallel to Mike's experience, I have over 10,000 rounds through one gun with the J-safety and it has never moved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top