Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 5:26:11 PM EDT
I am about to pickup a well used 870P with factory extended mag for $169.00  It has some light pitting and rust on exterior common to police shotguns left in the rack for extended periods and not used.  Has anyone used the Wilson\Scattergun Remington Steal package?  It looks like a good deal but I could probably take care of everything myself for a lot less.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Like you, I bought a police trade-in 870 Wingmaster with a factory extended mag - and it had it's fair share of character(20plus years on the job)... It still shot well, and cycled oh-so smooth - and I got mine for $175 out the door... I paid a 'smith buddy of mine $100 to convert it to 3", and refinish the metal in a matte black finish - and I redid the furniture with Rustoleum Black Textured paint... It turned out very nice, and was a good value... I have a friend who got the package from Wilson you referred to, and he was quite happy with the results... That's as much info as I have on the subject...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am about to pickup a well used 870P with factory extended mag for $169.00  It has some light pitting and rust on exterior common to police shotguns left in the rack for extended periods and not used.  Has anyone used the Wilson\Scattergun Remington Steal package?  It looks like a good deal but I could probably take care of everything myself for a lot less.

I feel that it depends mostly on exactly what you need done. If it's just re-finishing there's quite a few other reputable 'smiths out there that do an outstanding job at MUCH  lower prices (Texas Armament Co. to name one -- parkerizing @ $80/includes return shipping, 4-day shop time). If you're considering adding ghost-ring sights as well, this is nothing more than drilling/tapping the receiver -- rather quick and easy work for a competent 'smith -- usually around $40-60 has been my experience, in addition to the sights themselves. If your Police model is anywhere near like the ones I've handled, it's most likely been carried a lot, and shot a little. It should be rather simple to check the operating condition by just running a couple hundred shells through it for reliability. I would, however, err on the side of caution and replace any springs you feel may be fatigued -- basic operator-level maintenance, IMO.

Having used Remingtons literally all of my life, mostly 870s, I personally do not feel that they are in need  of serious custom work to fill the bill as a duty/HD gun. My personal opinion is that they are more than capable of taking anything dished at 'em, straight outta the box. There are a couple of additional features/mods that I consider nice and just prefer over the standard equipped, though definately not necessary, i.e. Vang's speed safety, Wilson's mag ext., and XS ghost-rings, but that's just me. However, these parts hardly constitute a several hundred dollar added cost over a standard 870, again, IMO.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I may just save my money and do all but parkerizing myself.  I am content with bead sight.  I would like to add 3" capability and decent recoil pad besides the parkerizing.  Thanks.   Does Texas Armament Co have a website, or how would I contact them?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had 2, 870's done by Wilson/Scattergun Tech, just armor tuff finishing.

Their quality control has been a nightmare, had to send them both back, and then they still didn't make it right.

Both rough, bubbly finshes and "peeling skin".

YMMV

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top