Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2004 6:59:23 PM EDT
  I am considering the purchase of an 870 Marine Magnum for use as a barn gun & truck gun.It won't be shot very often and mainly sit hidden around farm buildings with a loaded tube(chamber empty),ready for Starlings,Racoons,Opossums,etc.Sometimes be carried encased and unloaded and forgotten about in various farm vehicles.I know it is not tactical black,but rust is my main concern here.I am looking for a dependable pump action that will stand neglect and damp conditions.Something that can be shot every now and then,and left sitting in barn conditions.Will the nickle finish withstand this treatment?    
 Remingtons website states ,all metal surfaces including inside of barrel are nickel plated for corrosion resistance.From experience, old blue Mossbergs tend to become covered in rust in this enviroment.Does anyone here own or have any knowledge of the Marine Magnum.My local gunshop has a new one on the shelf for $489.00,and the shop owner would probably lower the price some for me( good customer).I have no experience with the 870,but everyone tells me they are flawless.    

Thanks for your input,Mark454
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as the reliability of the shotgun it is awesome.  I carry a marine magnum as my duty shotgun.  The Rem 870's are one of the best pump shotguns ever made.  

Regardless of the finish of any gun if you leave it in a damn, moist, humid environment it will rust.  Do you plan on just leaving it in barns, vehicles, etc for extended amounts of time or taking it at home when not at the farm?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the Marine Magnum is an excellent gun but it sounds to me like you need a cheap stainless .22 rifle.  

ready for Starlings,Racoons,Opossums,etc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I LOVE my Marine Magnum. And that recoil pad they put on it now is truly impressive. I only wish it had ghost ring sights.

I like the marine magnums cuz they're about as smooth out of the box as a broken in 870. You won't be sorry!

P.S. I can't comment much on the rust issue cuz I live in Phoenix; I'll leave that to someone else.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The Marine 870 will be a great choice. My buddy owns one because he fishes up in Alaska, and the salt water and sea air wreaked havoc on his guns. The marine magnum solved the corrosion problem. Plus the 870 is a solid design.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I absolutely LOVE my Marine Magnum.  I keep it as my primary home defense weapon, but it also spends a lot of time on the rivers here in Pittsburgh.  It's a superb gun!

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I was concerned about acceptable patterns out of the cylinder bore.  Has anyone found a 00 or 000 load that gives a reasonably tight pattern out of this gun?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had the best results with Winchester 15 pellet 3" 00 buck in mine.  Remington #4 buck also
patterns very well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have had the best results with Winchester 15 pellet 3" 00 buck in mine.  Remington #4 buck also
patterns very well.

I've gotten the same type of results with mine.  The finish holds up very well, and overall the gun is rock solid.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top