Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 8:31:52 PM EDT
Just picked up a Fabarms pump. I need advise in terms of what would be the best compliment of shot, slugs to keep for all around performance. I got a 25 round bandoleer that needs to be filled. What varieties should I keep ready with the gun. I live in an urban environment -- dense population -- New Jersey,  2 story condos. How many of each type of round to fill the bandoleer. Thanks. -- Oh yeah, its got a 20" barrel and is a 12 guage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
#4 Buck seems to be the favorite for in close defensive loads.  But the 00 Low recoil Buckshot is what I carry. Get either the 00 9 pellet Remington Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil or 00 9 pellet Federal Tactical Buckshot.  Its the most well rounded load, and doesnt hurt your feelings as much as full power buck.  And for slugs I just keep the Wolf .5 oz rifled slugs in all my gear as I know how it shoots consistantly.

What choke is your barrel anyways?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question -- I have to look that choke information up. I know its a "tri bore" barrel with interchangable chokes available but off the top of my head I'm not sure. Will let you know. --Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Standard, #1 Buck will give you the best payload for the money as far as lead shot on target. I tend to be very partial to #000 Buck myself but it does not fit into every situation well. Standard 1OZ slugs are fine and will do whatever you need. The Buckshot and the slugs are now available in "low recoil" or "Tactical" loadings as well.

One thing to think about is the fact that if things should get "fast and furious", you do not want to be trying to figure out which shells are where on the bandolier, and/or which size shot you should use nfor this or that. I like red Buckshot, all the same size...#000 for me, but in your shoes I'd use #1... and green slugs and some space between the two...just my way of dealing with the issue.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know of any good sites that show (pictures) the different loads for shotguns?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ikor -- Pardon my lack of knowledge -- But first off, whats the difference between a reduced recoil and a tactical load in terms of felt recoil and effective range? Does the reduced recoil version have a reduced range? And secondly, when you say green slugs, is this a generally used term for a specific type of slug that different manufacturers produce ie - Winchester green and federal green? Where can a real newbie find the ABC's of shot shell up to learning a specific load for a specific role. Is there is site dedicated to just this subject like AR15.com?  Or am I getting too carried away with the details in terms of my simple needs? Thanks - John.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Can I shoot 3" 00 15 shells with my standard Mossberg 500?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top