Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2004 6:50:42 PM EDT
Recoil be damned... pull that stock in closer and put on a few pounds, eh? Well, I decided to dare try a pump action... however... not just any one. I am looking at building an SST870. After much research, I decided that the Remington 870 is the best choice... beefier than the Mossbergs and quite cheap.  Plus, I would love the SST870. Now, as I understand it, I need to buy a Remington 870 (which model do you recommend? The www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870expsyn18.htm ?)

Then, I add an SST870 (can be installed at home, right?), the stock of my choice, and an optic of my choice... But... is the sight picture good enough? Do you have a comfortable, solid cheekweld and a good sightpicture? I read that mounting Aimpoints and such on Benelli's and other such guns that dont have the stock at the same level as the barrel make for weak cheekwelds when using red-dot optics...

Answer away... (and comfort me about that damn blasted recoil...)

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Another option you might want to consider (depending on how much you like to tinker) is to go and look for an old, beat up wingmaster. These can typically be had at about 50% of the cost of a new 870 security, but you will have to then add the 2 round magazine extension and possibly buck the barrel down to 18.5 inches in length. Why would you go this route? In my opinion, the older wingmasters are much better made than the current 870 expresses. I did not believe this when I first heard it, as I was the proud owner of a brand new 870 express, however now many years (and many 870s) later, when I want to add an 870 to the collection it will always be one of those old diamonds in the rough (the only thing that will be rough about it will be the finish...everything else is better!)

Take care,

Brobee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top