Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2004 6:25:23 PM EDT
Pistol grip only shotguns; what do you think of them?  Fast, effective?  Good for home defense?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No, No, and No.

Any other questions?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Go shoot one sometime and then answer your own questions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Excuse me Mad Professor, perhaps I'll ask the members here if they have so then I don't have to!  If you ever want to know what an M-16A2, M-249 SAW, M-240G, Mk-19 automatic grenade launcher, M-2 .50 cal machine gun, SMAW, 60mm mortar, 81mm mortar, AT-4 light anti-tank rocket shoot like then you can ask me as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
2 threads asked and answered.

I tried explaining WHY in the other thread.  Obviously my answers werent popular with the e-commando crowd.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Long guns are most effective when fired from the shoulder. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you mean the stock or the forend and if you mean the forend,Y do you say a vertical grip hinders the function of a shot gun
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know, it depends what you want to do with it.  Bird hunting?  No good.  Trap/Skeet?  Useless.  I've got a Mossberg 500 w/ a pistol grip and it's REALLY good for burning through ammo.  I personally like them, and have a hell of a lot of fun with it.

It's also my lay around the house with gun.  I live in a one bedroom apartment (brick walls, one apartment per floor), and anybody that gets in will be within 10 feet of me in under 2 seconds. Since I can murder bowling pins at about 15 yards with it, it suits my home defense needs perfectly (it's also short, light, and easy to move with.)  

Did i mention that they're a lot of fun?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Though not really useful for anything but blasting through ammo, I'd like to add one of these to my NFA collection sometime.

Serbu Super Shorty
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
All of our other shotguns have a stock of some kind on them (fixed, folding, or collapsible), but my wife's pet bedroom shotgun is our one "red-headed stockless stepchild":

The elevator has been modified to reliably feed the Aguila mini-shells (lower recoil/flash & a couple more rounds in the tube) & she is very capable of hitting her target at indoor/defensive distances.  The "witness-protection-style" pistol grip is IMO considerably more comfortable/controllable than a traditional perpendicular PG on a shotgun.  It wouldn't be my first choice, but she prefers it for her bedroom "door-stop."  I have no doubt she could deny entry to the bedroom adequately with it and/or her bedroom handgun.  (I won't argue that she might not be better of with a stocked model, but she is a competent shooter & I figure it should be her choice - I'm just glad I have a wife who practices regularly with her defensive firearms!)

ETA:  Her main reason for this choice is that she believes she can retain this shotgun (fired from the hip, close in to her body, using the light from the Surefire forend to "aim" - she does surprisingly well at this at "indoor" distances) better than a stocked shotgun fired from the shoulder.  I tell her that they should never get close enough for retention to be an issue, but - again - as long as she shows interest & practices I'm not going to beat her up over this choice.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my pistol grip 870.  It has a Butler Creek folding stock which I keep next to my bed.  I love to shoot it and I can hit coke cans from the hip on the second if not FIRST shot at 10 yards.  
My 870 is my go to gun, at home or on the road.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top