Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2004 10:52:40 AM EDT
Updated Pics - 13 Feb 04 - Imagestation isn't working well anymore, sorry if the pics don't turn out ....

Still missing the castle nut, which didn't come with the Vltor stock and buffer tube.

Stockweld is good for sighting the bead, and the adapter is adjustable for optic use.

Will post when I'm able to shoot it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been wanting to try the AR stock option on my 870.

I think the SST-870 is great, but the cost is a bit high for this "experiment" of mine, and I want to stick with my front bead for sighting instead of optics.

I found this adapter on the GunBroker.com auction site and got it for $45 + $7 shipping.

Top:

The pistol grip covers the set screw:

The auction ad stated that it's 7075 aluminum.

Installation was pretty straightforward:

1) Place the adapter on the rear of the receiver and secure it with the screw and washer;

2) Screw on the buffer tube all the way, then back off about 1/4 turn, aligning the bottom channel on the buffer tube with the set screw on the bottom of the adapter;

3) Tighten the set screw to keep the buffer tube from rotating;

4) Tighten the buffer tube nut;

5) Install the AR grip (not included) using their bolt and washer.

Immediate issues:

1) The face of the adapter isn't tightly fitted to the rear of the receiver as other attachments I've had, so I'm wondering if it will shift under recoil;

2) The cut inside the back face of the adapter is at an angle, so the buttstock screw and washer aren't flat on this surface as they secure the adapter to the receiver.

I'll post more once I've gotten a chance to put some rounds through it.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It still doesn't look low enough to allow you to use the bead. Remember, with a bead only your eye is the rear sight. Placement of your head is critical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It still doesn't look low enough to allow you to use the bead. Remember, with a bead only your eye is the rear sight. Placement of your head is critical.

Notice that you don't see the front of my 870 in the pics.

I had sold my barrels, and bought an 18.5" off Ebay, but it hasn't got to me yet!

What I can tell you is that with a good solid stockweld, you're sighting above the receiver plane, so I think you might be correct when it comes to bead-only use.

With any type of ghost ring sight or even a front sight only like the SGT or Trijicon, the stockweld *should* work out.

If it doesn't work using the bead only, I'll probably try something else.

Makes me even more anxious to get my barrel in so I can see if this will work!

Chris
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Just curious, did you shoulder it with the stock fully collapsed?  

Is there room for your thumb on the pistol grip with the stock collapsed?  It looks tight at the top of the grip.  If you shoot it like that, be careful first time to make sure your thumb does not get wedged.

Great pics by the way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just curious, did you shoulder it with the stock fully collapsed?  

Is there room for your thumb on the pistol grip with the stock collapsed?  It looks tight at the top of the grip.  If you shoot it like that, be careful first time to make sure your thumb does not get wedged.

The stock is too short for me to shoulder when it's fully collapsed, and I can't see shooting it like that because of the stock's lever being in the way.

Great pics by the way.

Thanks!

Chris
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
cavarms says they are coming out with a polymer version of the SST this summer i think.

probably gonna be very cheap.  plus their front sight is going to be availible in a month or so(if memory serves from another thread)
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cavarms says they are coming out with a polymer version of the SST this summer i think.

probably gonna be very cheap.  plus their front sight is going to be availible in a month or so(if memory serves from another thread)

I'd really like to see what their front sight looks like, and if I do end up going with the SST-870, it will be the aluminum version.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
same here

guess we will just have to wait on the sight though.  they had a pic up of a prototype but its nothing like the version they will be making
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2004 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Fellas .... You won't be seeing a shooting test from me on this adapter.

As tight as I have the retaining bolt, it shifts if you apply pressure to the grip.

I suspected this would occur after seeing the problems that I noted in the original post.

I'm now contemplating the Ace Ltd. 870 receiver adapter ($65) ....

.... with their "pig nose" AR stock adapter attached to the rear of the receiver adapter ($20) ....

.... and the end result ....

I believe the Ace setup has the stock about 1/2" lower than the GunBroker adapter, which would put it right for me to use the standard front bead.

If I don't get the Ace, I'll get the SST-870, which I would've got in the first place if I just could've used the original bead!

Damn!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 1/31/2004 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno, it seems like these cheaper adapters and even the higher end ones less expensive than the SST-870 made too many design compromises to come in at that cheap price.  It also appears most of them have hindrances that overshadow their benefits.

I'd say go all the way and get an SST-870, or don't bother at all.  You want a pistol grip get a speedfeed stock, they even make shorter length of pull models if you need them.  You really can tell the difference between products made by someone who actually seriously uses them, and someone just out to make a quick buck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2004 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I would have seen this post before I bid on the same stock adaptor for a Mossberg 500. I have already commited to buy it. I hope it works better that described here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2004 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wish I would have seen this post before I bid on the same stock adaptor for a Mossberg 500. I have already commited to buy it. I hope it works better that described here.

I too would be optimistic to try it out since it's for the Mossberg.

If only whoever made this adapter machined it to fit INTO the recessed rear of the receiver like most other 870 accessories are, this adapter would be a great product.

Anyway .... hopefully your adapter will be machined the right way.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/3/2004 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]
mrcr0603-
Your pics on 1/30 show one adapter and the pics on 1/31 show another.  How did the first adapter
work out?
Link Posted: 2/3/2004 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
mrcr0603-
Your pics on 1/30 show one adapter and the pics on 1/31 show another.  How did the first adapter
work out?

Basically the first adapter, which I'll call "GunBroker" didn't because it wasn't machined to fit INTO the recessed rear of the receiver.

This caused it to shift no matter how tight you made the retaining bolt.

See how the front of this ACE adapter is made to fit INTO the rear of the receiver:

The GunBroker is entirely FLAT on its face, with nothing to form fit into the receiver.

The second set of pics, the ACE adapter setup, is what I'm contemplating purchasing.

The main reason why I'm trying this route instead of the SST-870 is I want my bead sight, and later probably ghost rings, to be my primary sight system.

Then if I want to go with optics I can either do a rail on the receiver or a KAC RAS.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/10/2004 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]
mrcr0603 and all other AR15.com users,

Hello. My name is Prince50, and I am the manufacturer of the CAR adapter sold on gunbroker. I made this unit first for the Mossberg due to the fact that it did not exist when I started, and then for the 870 when my shooting buddies wanted the same thing for less than the going rate of $200 seen elsewhere.

I have sold hundreds of these to both LEOs and civies. I have not ever seen the complaint listed here, but will do everything to correct the problem.

First of all the straight back stock was chosen as a happy medium between those wishing to add optics, or using existing bead sights. The LEO units I have sold have 2 degrees of rake built into them which is imperceptable to the eye but puts the shooter right on plane with the bead using a proper cheek weld. All subsequent units wil be sold this way, and optics users can buy the cheek piece for the CAR stock to use optics. (available from several sources for around $10)

Issue 2: The flat face of the adapter has again never been an issue, but I will change it for you guys without any problems. I will make these changes and the units will be ready in less than 2 weeks. They will Key into the recievers of both Rem 870s and Mossberg 500/590s just as the standard stocks do. It is that easy.

I would hope that in the future you would all contact me with your gripes and allow me the oppurunity to correct them before bashing the product, or spending your hard earned $$ on somthing else.

For AR15 members who own my unit now, I will swap with you for a new style unit for no charge other than shipping both ways. No handling charges at all. That means that for around $8 you can ship the old unit back and get a new unit that allows a perfect cheek weld with iron sights, and keys into the reciever without shifting problems. Try to get that from any other manufacturer.

This stuff is not rocket science, and these parts do not need to cost hundreds of dollars. Once a CNC program is written, it can make millions of parts, or be altered slightly and make millions of somthing else. Aluminum is also the way to go. This part I make can be made cheaper out of Delrin, but the strength, weight savings, and looks are superior in anodized aluminum.

Thank you for reading this post. AR15.com users can order direct fom me and get the AR15 model for $40 plus $7 S&H. Please inform me that you want the AR15.com model, as I need to sell off my existing inventory of style 1 units on gunbroker.

mrcr0603 I will be contacting you directly to make the swap if you want it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Prince50
Link Posted: 2/10/2004 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]

now thats pretty cool.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 2/10/2004 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one from Prince50 and told him that I didn't like the design.  He told me he was re-designing it and is allowing me to exchange it.  I have been very impressed with his integrity on this.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2004 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll second that,  I will probably exchange it as he lists if it has a shifting problem. I wish you luck Prince and I might be purchasing another very soon once the new design is finallized.
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Darin (Prince50) - I got your e-mail and replied back; thanks for your concern and offer, which is greatly appreciated.

The way you're handling things is great and should lead to alot more sales for you.

Thanks again .... Chris
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
C-More has a patent.

patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&S1=((shotgun+AND+adapter)+AND+buttstock)&OS=shotgun+AND+adapter+AND+buttstock&RS=((shotgun+AND+adapter)+AND+buttstock)

I don't know much about patents, but C-More's doesn't seem to be having an effect on the continuing development and sales of the AR stock adapter concept.

Click on the "image" in the patent .... it doesn't look like the Ace or Prince50's adapters, but looks just like Cavalry Arms SST-870 without the optic rail.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I've heard that C-More's lawyers have started sending out threatening letters. I've also heard that FN is paying C-More to use said patent.

Link Posted: 2/12/2004 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
All I know is that you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a AR shotgun adapter. MIKE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
What what the outcome on these? The guy is still selling them, and I was wondering if anybody ever tried the new models, and it that's what he's selling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top