Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 2:44:08 AM EDT
In order to help keep recoil under control, I was thinking of using "reduced recoil" 00 buck, or a smaller shot...  What's the smallest someone would want to go on the shot size, while still retaining enough energy and velocity to still be effective on a man sized target at around 30-40 yards?

Or would 00 be the bare minimum?

Oh BTW, I'm talking about 12ga.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#1]
For reduced recoil, you are generally limited to 00 and 4 buck (in tactical loads)

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You may want to pattern buckshot at 30 and 40 yards.  Buckshot really has a very limited range, inside of 5 yards you may as well be shooting a slug, past 20 or so yards, depending on each individual gun, you really should be shooting slug.  Just a consideration.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

I will pattern it at multiple ranges (Every 5 yards from 5-40), and see how well 00 and #4 works for me. Once I find what the maximum range is for each, I will start testing for penetration.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The reduced recoil loads tend to shoot somewhat tighter patterns in most guns, especially the Federal "Tactical" loads, due to harder (4% antimony) shot which is also plated. Larger pellets tend to hold somewhat tighter patterns than smaller ones, so tend to do better at longer ranges. 30yd.+ is probably not realistic if you have a standard gun and want to keep all pellets on a man-size target, but if you are not worried about your background, #00 and #000 can be relatively effective even at 100yd...IF they strike the target.

Me, I use #000, (yes, Federal makes a #000 Tactical load) as I have found it to be the best for my situation and in my guns. I do not like going lighter than #1 Buck, but #4 Buck can be very effective inside a house / building on soft targets.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not fond of #4 buck. I try not to go any smaller than #1. You can find it if you look hard enough.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top