Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 1:27:21 PM EDT
Is there a barrel that can be used with a Mossberg Mariner 590 that is longer than the standard 20 inches?  I would like to use the 590 for skeet/trap and was told that the 20 inch is to short.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with the 590 for skeet/trap isn't that the barrel is too short, it's that the barrel is open cyl bore and doesn't have a choke.  The long barrels are so that they'll balance correctly and swing easily.  The extended magazine does help this, but since the whole thing is shorter it doesn't swing as well.  If you do get the longer barrel then you've got the added weight of the magazine that won't swing correctly.

What it really comes down to is that if you're just messing around then the 590 will do fine as it is.  If you really want to compete in skeet or trap then you need to get a the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I will be just 'playing around'.  I don't see myself ever taking it very seriously.  I will give it a try!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent.  More guys should do it.  If you can, shoot some sporting clays or 5 stand too.  Most sporting clay courses can be shot using IC.  You will struggle on long shots with IC and a short barrel, but so what.

On Skeet, just work on getting on target quick.  The longer you swing with a short barrel the more trouble you will get in to.

I have a some what unique gun, an 1100 Special Field but with standard monte carlo stock instead of the english stock the gun usually came with (1 of a run of 50 from the Remington custom shop).  The gun has a 21" barrel and rem chokes.  This is a bird gun all the way.

Less than ideal for pass shooting but great for point shooting.  This is by no means my number one gun so to speak, but I do use it a fair amount and I will shoot sporting clays with it.  I leave the IC choke tube in and shoot the whole course to try to make the point to my friends who are "totally tactical" and will not shoot clays.  This gun is very similar to most tac shotguns.

Just do it, nobody cares if you miss, but chances are you won't!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Zoub,

I tried shooting the clays that come out from the sides of 2 houses (skeet or trap?).  I asked for only one at a time though.  I did ok..  I hit only 13 of 24.  I did feel a little out of place since just about everyone else had longer double barrel over/under guns.  I will get over it once I start hitting more!!  I wan't to try the other one (where they clays come out and fly away from you).  It looks easier but may not be with my 20 cylinder barrel!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Zoub,

I have to ask.. Would a pistol grip stock make shooting clays harder or easier?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Fisheye, sounds like you were on a skeet pad and only shooting birds coming at you?  If you shoot birds going away from you, from the house closest to you, those are very easy shots!  Just swing your barrel up on to the bird and as soon as you "cover it" with your muzzle, pull the trigger.  Your light weight fast moving barrel will smoke those shots.  Just turn your brain off.  ALWAYS assume you will hit the bird.  Never even think about missing, just hitting. Personally I always think "kill it".

If you hit 50% of the birds coming at you first time, you should hit 80 to 90% of the going away shots.

Pistol grip will probably slow you down on swings to left or right or shooting doubles, but for shooting singles coming at you or going away, not as big a deal.  Honestly, hold off on the pistol grip and get in a groove with your gun as is, unless you already have it on?  Then in a few months put it on.

The most important thing is you just went out and shot at a fast moving target the size of your hand.  Your 11 misses most likely would be solid hits on a human sized target moving much slower!

Find a five stand to shoot and get a few friends to go too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Z and I both agree that more shooting and less stuff hanging off your gun makes you a better shooter. Your gun will be fine for skeet, (two houses, crossing shots) but will suck for trap, (single house, going away birds). All of the guys who I got into clay birds this year say that all of the shooting helped this week during deer season. Didn't help me but I would have to see a deer to shoot one! A inexpensive semi-auto shotgun with a 26-28" barrel and screw in chokes would give you years of fun. Shotguns are like golf clubs, you need more than one. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top