Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2003 9:12:26 PM EDT
I put an 8 shot tac star extension on my 870 and it will only hold 7. I can almost get the 8th in, but one more inch of the shell is exposed. I left 7 in the tube for a few days and I still can't get the 8th in. I am using 2 3/4" shells. What gives???
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine only holds 6+1 if that makes you feel better.  You need the extra room for 3" shells.  Also, when you overload that spring you can bind it and then your shotgun becomes a stick.

To answer your question why doesn't 8 fit, because there isn't enough room, but I don't know why they would sell it as an 8 if it only holds 7...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of this is simple confusion on capacity of the extension.

Some people sell the extensions based on how many rounds the EXTENSION tube holds, and some sell them based on how many rounds the GUN will hold TOTAL.

In your case, I'd suspect the seller MEANT that the gun would hold 8 rounds, total.  

In other words, you bought a 7+1 magazine extension.

If your gun has an 18" barrel, the max the TUBE will hold is 7 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Play around a little with the mag tube spring length and follower type. Brownells used to sell a very small generic steel follower for Remingtons. With this follower and the mag spring cut a little shorter my IPSC shotgun would always hold one more 2 3/4 shell, with the same Choate extension, than everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Also, when you overload that spring you can bind it and then your shotgun becomes a stick.

No, that just turns it into a single shot shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Try playing around with a couple of different types of shotgun shells....some of them are just a little bit different in their length, which can add up to a lot when you have 7 of them stuffed in there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, don't correct me in front of the others, it makes me look inferior!  

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try playing around with a couple of different types of shotgun shells....some of them are just a little bit different in their length, which can add up to a lot when you have 7 of them stuffed in there.

What he said.

I have a Benelli M1S90 and bought the 4 shot extension to make 7+1. Winchester Birdshot held 7 in the tube but when using S&B Buck I could only hold 6. Turns out that the S&B shells are a tad longer than other manufacture's. So yes try different brands.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the same mag extension on an 870, and mine only holds 7 also. I think thats the way there made. If it was any longer it would stick out past the barrel. 7+1 in the chamber gives you 8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top