Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2003 8:52:37 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm a shot gun novice and I am looking to purchase my first shotgun. I want a tactical/practical shotgun but also need to use it for the occasional bird hunt. Can ya'll provide both pump and auto suggestions? I want something with atleast a 7 shell mag. I've been looking at the M1, modified 870s, 590s, and the m1100 competition masters.

Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]

It does everything.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes!  you can change out barrels for birds/defense.

I have a 12" and a 14" for mine!  The 14" is for sniper work!
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the 870 - you can change barrels easily, they are low cost, and are VERY reliable. Probably the best possible choice for a newbie.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
My Brother and I had a discussion the other day concerning kids and their first shotgun.  Your first gun experience determines how you will view, use and enjoy guns for the rest of your life.  Especially when it comes to shotguns.  With that in mind, if I buy my kid a gun and he/she never buys another gun for the rest of their life, what should they have?  Also, I want my kid to love guns so they will want to shoot more, so again what gun helps ensure this?

Now since life is priceless, cost is not an issue.

My answer, any M1 field gun.  I am not prejudiced, because I do not own a single Benelli.  The final tie breaker, when in the field or shootng clays, a novice shooter will have a much easier time changing loads, say from 7.5 to 6, or 7.5 to 8 with a Benelli.  Same for switching from buck to slug in a tactial situation.  Load any gun and an M1 side by side with the same load.  Now switch each to a different load in the chamber.

For a pump gun, 870 all the way.  An Express combo with two barrels would be cheap and handle well.  Add mag extension.

Even better, buy 2.  1 can be an old 2 3/4" chamber, fixed choke if you do not have to shoot steel shot.  The other an express for tactical gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top