Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2003 8:01:30 PM EDT
Does anyone know the effectiveness of those flechette shells out to 50 yards? Sounds like it would be a mean little load.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Too light = not enough penetration.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I know they will go though 3/8" plywood at 15 yards when shot from a SPAS, but not much more than that.  They are really only good for close up work in thick brush.  I don't see them good for much else. As Hoplophile said, they are very light and don't hold much energy for any distance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone finally solved the flechette problem and made a flechette load that used flechettes about as wide as carpentry nails with hollow cavities that crushed in tissue. The flechette would bend 90Degrees and then spiral through tissue.

Scary Shit, but pricey.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys. That's what I was looking for.

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
why not just use buckshot
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]
"Because flechette shells look COOLER "

Nah. I just wanted to know their effectiveness to see if it was worth buying a few rounds to keep in my shotgun INSTEAD of buckshot.

Doesn't look half worth the price to me from y'all's description of their performance.

Thanks again, guys. You did save me about 16 bucks.
Patrick
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have bought some flechettes and tried them, they are pretty disappointing.  They don't all fly straight, most just keyhole, and they carry very little energy.  Cool to try, not very practical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top