Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2003 1:04:59 PM EDT
I just got an 870 (thanks to argonautarmament and their adapter) and I also bought an 8-shot mag extender. The guy said I need at least a 20" barrel for this mag extender. So, what's a good brand and where can I get it?
The original barrel that came with it is a 26" rem choke VR with 2 chokes (I'm thinking of selling it and buying the 20"). How much do you think I can get for it? There have only been a box fired through it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
One more thing... I paid $175 for the 870 (with 26" barrel) and was only shot using one box of bird shot. It's an Express Magnum model. Was that a good price? Seemed like it to me because it was either a Mossy 500 for $200 NIB or the slightly used Remmy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit this link and look near the bottom of the page for genuine Remington barrels and the MSRP for them.
www.remington.com/firearms/xtrabbl.htm

Prices are a bit higher than others out there, but I can't think of anyplace else I've seen a 20" barrel.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
WWW.cabelas.com has a 12 gauge express barrel, 20" with an improved cylinder choke and rifle sights for $119.00. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
20":
brownells
bass pro
cabelas

18"
cabelas (made by mossberg)
brownells (made by remington)

Brownells carries most of the same parts you can order from Remington, except they are much better to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It might be cheaper to send your barrel to someone like Carlson's Chokes and have it cut down.  They can finish it with a fixed choke or re-thread it for your Rem-Chokes.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know about your area, but around here the gun shows have a wide selection of used barrels at reasonable prices - all makes, models, lengths, etc.

If they are still running the "Remington Steal" deal, for a little more than the cost of a new barrel you can send the shotgun (keep your OEM wood stock) to Scattergun Technologies/Wilson Combat and they will shorten your barrel, relocate the bead, check the 870 out and replace worn parts, refinish it (along with your magazine extension to match), and install a new mag-spring, follower, & black sythetic stock.  Of course, this would be much more appealing to you if your gun were not in such good condition already.

I had them do a couple of 870s like this for me and I have been really happy with them.  I like the shortened VR barrel - sort of unique-looking (most [if not all] 18"/20" barrels you find will be non-VR).  I added three-dot Firesight sets to the shortened ribs of mine for rapid target acquisition - they work very well IMO.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine through Cabela's. The barrel was $120 (half as much as the gun itself) but it's a Remington barrel. The rifle sights on it are nice also.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The Remington Steal Package is still available for $199.95 (it was a little cheaper when I did it...), which includes return shipping and the following:

•Replace all worn and/or damaged parts
•Convert to 3” (if necessary)
•Convert shell feed to flexitab anti-jam system
•Install new synthetic buttstock and fore grip
  (NOTE:Old stocks not returned w/Remington Steal package)
•Install new spring and follower
•Replace safety with current design
•Strip and parkerize all external parts
•Strip and anodize trigger group
•Note:Remington Steal Package only available on 12 ga. in 2 3/4”or 3” mags

www.wilsoncombat.com/
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info. I went on ebay and noticed that a used barrel exactly like mine is going for around $140. I'm thinking of just selling it on ebay and buying a 20" from Brownells.

Also, I am planning on shooting Federal Tactical slugs and 00 buck out of it. Can you shoot slugs out of a choked barrel (without the choke in place)? I don't think you can, but I may be wrong.

Also, I am trying to replace my forearm (originally wood) with a synthetic. I don't have the proper tool to do it. For those who changed out their foregrip, what did you use?

I was at the gunshow yesterday and couldn't find any 20" barrels for my baby or the tool to take off the damn forearm's action.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can you shoot slugs out of a choked barrel (without the choke in place)? I don't think you can, but I may be wrong.

NO - NEVER shoot ANYTHING without a chohe tube in the barrel!

You can get the tools from Brownell's.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Try out www.centerfiresystems.com.

I bought an 18" 870  factory barrel from them for 80 bucks with ghost ring front sight with tritium.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]
from my understanding from reading over the remington site, they make a choke to use in their non-rifled deer barrels, it's a rifled choke
www.remington.com/accessories/shotgun_accessories/shotgnacc.htm
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I would also suggest Cabela's.  I bought my barrel there, its around a 20-21 inch barrel (I have never bothered to check) with rem choke system.  Works fine, only problem that I had with it was from the packaging grease was still on it when I received it but that was a simple fix.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Kalifornia,

Did you ever find/buy a barrel?  I'm sorry this took so long - I meant to come back to this thread & post pictures before now, but the server was down for a while and then I... well, I just forgot.

Here is the first one I had done by Scattergun Technologies that I mentioned above:

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...Also, I am trying to replace my forearm (originally wood) with a synthetic...

If you haven't purchased a synthetic stock yet, may I recommend the Houge overmolded stocks.  They make them in Comp-Stock and standard trim, with the same rubber feel as their overmolded rubber pistol grips - very "grippy."

The Comp-Stock version has an internal spring & pulley set-up that greatly reduces felt recoil.  i have one on this 870 that I did myself with a plain barrel:

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#17]
...and just for contrast (and the heck of it...), my wife's pet shotgun, with 18" barrel, +2 mag extension, "witness-style" PG (she prefers this to a full stock indoors, and is good enough with it that I'm not going to argue with her about it ), heat shield, side-saddle, and Surefire.  It has been "tweaked" to reliably feed the Aguila mini-shells - this is her bedroom shotgun...

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Haven't bought the barrel yet. I'm thinking of just going for an 18" and trading my +3 (only holds 2 extra) tac star for a +2.

I did buy the AR15 stock adapter and got an M4 stock and Hogue pistol grip on my 870. It looks bad-ass so far.

All the ones you have look NICE!!! I originally bought this shotgun for home defense, but it's waaaaay too heavy for that. I'm thinking of getting another and doing something similar to your wife's for HD.

Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#19]
$175 is a GREAT price for a NIB 870.  (around here anyway)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top