Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 10:20:13 AM EDT
I went to the range last Sat. and shot clays for the first time.  It was a blast, literaly and figurativly!  

I am now looking for an autoloading 12ga and need some suggestions for the most reliable 12ga available.

I currentlty own a Winchester 1300 with a 15.5" barrel.

second question is is there any guide to what shells to use for different types of shooting.  To start with, I will only be shooting clays.

THank you,

Bill H.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to www.remington.com, click on support, then reading room, they have several downloads that will explain shotguns, ammo, chokes and clay shooting games. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Clays shells are 2-3/4".
The shot size and weight depends on the sport.

A very common and versitle load is.

1-1/8 Oz #8 shot
3 drams equivalent (1200 fps)

Lower Oz of shot and lower drams translates into less recoil and vice versa.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What the hell kind of pattern do you get with a 15.5" barrel? Sounds more like something used to blast Sambos breaking into your home.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I just purchased a Benelli Super Black Eagle a week ago and can't be happier. I understand there is quite a price difference between it and a Remington, but for good reason. It would at least be worth a look. A cheaper alternative my be a Stoeger.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The Benelli is a great gun but it is recoil operated, hard on the shoulder. The Remington is gas operated, easier on the shoulder while shooting hundreds of rounds per day at the clays. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Browning and Beretta autoloaders - they are also gas operated and very easy on the shooter. For all around clays shooting with an autoloader I like the 28" barrels. My Browning has a 30" barrel and it kinda long.

30" is OK for me in an over/under though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What the hell kind of pattern do you get with a 15.5" barrel? Sounds more like something used to blast Sambos breaking into your home.

Sambos ???
Thats great - Thanks for the laugh
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Benelli is a great gun but it is recoil operated, hard on the shoulder. The Remington is gas operated, easier on the shoulder while shooting hundreds of rounds per day at the clays. MIKE.

If you do not like the felt recoil, you can buy a limbsaver and/or a mercury recoil reducer.  

Works great.  I can shoot the heaviest turkey loads in a t-shirt and really not feel a thing.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sambos ???
Thats great - Thanks for the laugh

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#10]
i am a benelli guy myself.

as far as ammo goes i usually shoot 7 1/2s at trap, 8s at skeet, and i vary the load for diffrent sporting clays shots. i use the cheap walmart stuff unless my score matters, then i shoot reloads of winchester AAs or remington STS.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Barrel lengths will determine swing weight; the choke determines tightness of pattern.

Bottom line is if a 15" barrel, and a 30" barrel both have full chokes, both pattern will be the same from the same distance of the end of barrel.  The 30" barrel just gets you 15" closer to the target from end of barrel.

Also, in the states, any shotgun that has a barrel shorter than 18" is considered a NFA item .
(Mike, I'm suprissed that you missed this one).
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also, in the states, any shotgun that has a barrel shorter than 18" is considered a NFA item .

I was just going to post that, is NY a NFA friendly state?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Sambo.

I read a book in school back in the 50's about him.  Has he grown up to be a burgler?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Remmington 1187 its a great bird gun and it also does a number on clay pigeons.  I love the 3 1/2 chambering.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just going to post that, is NY a NFA friendly state?

No, SBS's are a no no here unless you are a LEO and its department owned shotgun.  The only thing that we can purchase that is NFA is large bore destructive devices, strange in itself as NY is not a very firearm friendly state at least with Governor Pataki in office.

Bill did you mean a 18.5" barrel?  As 15.5" barrels are illegal in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top