Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 12:55:23 PM EDT
What the scoop on these things??
The look pretty "cool" but if they are junk I would rather pass.  
So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Remington top folder on the 870,I like it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This is strictly personal opinion.  Ive owned the Remington stock, and tried the Choate.  Both packed a decent punch due to the lack of a recoil pad, but nothing that'd send you home crying to mommy.  The thing that really turned me off on them was cheek weld.  I could never get on the stock in a way that would allow me to consistantly  be straight on with the bead that was on my 870 at the time.

Shooting with the stock closed sucks.  Shotguns should be correctly indexed on your target like any other gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've fired exactly one top folder with the stock extended... I got a sore spot from the cheek weld... the owner had an actual bruise.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 870 Law Enforcement stock on my wingmaster. It is great for looks and gets lots of rubbernecking at the range. I am not on a SWAT team so it does what I wanted it to do. I do like the fact that it shortens it up for home defense. But also you can extend it out for a more stable shot.

Edited to add: The recoil ain't bad at all. Just hold it tight in to your shoulder like any other weapon.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i have the Advanced Technologies topfolder on my mossberg 590 and i like it very much. also has the 5-shot carrier. i rarely shoot it with the stock extended. it's strictly for home defense, so the stock is always folded. with the surefire forend, it makes for the perfect home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the ATI top folder on my 500A and added the shot shell carrier.  It was a novelty for me after a few hundred rounds of shooting.  Once I decided to add a weaver rail to add possibly a red dot sight or interchange it with a rifled barrel, it lost it's "cool" factor.

I switched to the ATI full stock with "true" pistol grip and added the six shot side saddle instead.  Looks more "police cruiser" like now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
One quick question. Do the ATI top folding stocks fold up fush, with the reciever on a Mossy 500.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Knoxx Copstock folder that reduces recoil impulse by more than half. IMO it does away with the primary disadvantage of over-folders, which is the discomfort of recoil with a thin wire or  flat metal butt.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Do they make any metal top folders? All I have seen is these crappy plastic ones.

JIM
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The folder on my 870 was made by Remington and is heavy duty steel.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is it a top folder or a side folder and were are some links to get one?

Please.....

JIM
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The Remington factory folding stocks are available on Ebay from time to time.  Remington discontinued them a while back.  The parts were listed in their catalog last year, but when I called to order they stated parts were not available.  I think the rubber buttplate pads are still available.  I ordered (3) a few months ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a top folder or a side folder and were are some links to get one?

Please.....

JIM

Its a top-folder and look on eBay. Is this the part where I break out into song about finding stuff on eBay?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The sage folder is the best that i have found.
I have tried every folder around and the sage was the best so far.  The cheak weld is still not up to par for me. I loved the cav arms stock but it did not cut down the size of the gun far enough for me when the stock was closed.
NoKarma
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top