Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2003 4:34:45 PM EDT
How do you like this particular shotgun? Thinking about buying one as I've heard a lot of positive (along with a few negative)feedback.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my M590 I never had any problems with it. Though I don't shoot it very often. I wouldn't trade it for another. I can't stand Rem. 870, nothing wrong with them, I just don't like them(and I even carry one on duty). I don't think you will have any regrets with the M590. My opinion great shotgun for a fair price. I don't know what your looking to spend, if money is not an object and you can spend a grand get a Benelli M3(pump & semi-auto). Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems with mine either. I really for the life of me can't see why some people are so adamantly against Mossbergs. Personally, I like the safety location a lot, being somewhat ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my 590.  You can't effectivly use a pistol gripped stock on it (because of the safety location), but other than that it's a great workhorse.  I shoot mine as often as I can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistol grips work fine for me because I don't use the safety.  Because such grips typically prevent trigger assembly removal when attached; however, they must be removed each time the weapon is disassembled for cleaning.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been carrying my 590 for four years on patrol and SWAT.  I have used it in two shootings.  One with OO buck and one with less lethal bean bags.  I don't use the safety either.  It has a GG&G one piece sling mount with a sling of my own design,a Speedfreed IV shortie pistol grip stock, a Surefire and a sidesaddle.  When I take it to the range it is the shotgun eveyone wants to shot.  I guess because it has been in the hands of a master :)
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine as well.  I was orignaly looking for a Rem 870 but found my 590 and it was at a great price so I bought it.  I've never regreated it.  It has never gave me any problems and I do like where the safety is located.  Buy a 590 and you will NOT regret it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Mossbergs are the only shotguns I've ever really shot, so I can't really compare them to others, but there is a reason I have kept buying them, they keep working. The 590 I have works just fine, never had a malfunction.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I really prefer Remingtons over Mossbergs, but I have a 590 and it's fine, though I'd rather have a regular stock over the pistol grip.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but I would really like to know why you prefer the 870, I've noticed quite a few people who say that they prefer the remington over the mossberg.

Personally, with the limited exposure to the 870 I've had, I don't see much difference in the reliability of the two, I prefer the safety on the mossberg because I can do a quick visual chach with out moving my trigger finger.

It seems, among those who prefer one of them, most people prefer the 870, I was just wondering why you did?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had mine for 4 years now, not one problem. I added a side saddle its always ready to go.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Mossberg 500 (set up with a scope and slug barrel), a Reminton 870 Express (standard 28" barrel) and a Mossberg 590. I though about converting my Reminton into a tactical shottie, but I saw a 590 at a fun shop, and bought it after a little thought.

I like my 870 for general hunting purposes (goose, duck, clay pidgeons, dove, turkey, and some small game).

But I like my 590 for fast action shooting. My first shotgun was a 500, so I am used to the operation of the safety. (plus I have a Savage rifle with the thumb safety)

It's all a matter of personal opinion. Yes the Mossberg rattles a little more than the Remington, but I find that a non issue.

Play with both of them, find the one you like.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the M590A1 and love it.  Been shooting it for aver a year.  It was a very tough decision between the 870 and the 590.  IMO the thought the 870 was built better.  It did not rattle as much and the slide action was much shorter than the 590.  I also did not like the fact that the trigger guard on my 590 was plastic.  The 870 seemed to be a heaver gun.  In the end I bought the 590 because of price and proven track record in the field.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
All valid reasons, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a marinecote 590, but I should've held out for a the 590a1-- I love that bayonet lug.

The combat advantage I've heard the 590 has over the 870 and other tactical shotguns is that the Mossie is free of short-shuck jamming issues.  Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Old pic but you get the idea
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#17]
My 590 has been completly reliable and is fun to shoot.  It's my "go to gun" if the SHTF or if anyone breaks into my house.  I've shot 870s as well.  They're fine, too.  I feel the advantage of the 590 is that you can buy one pretty well decked out for HD off the shelf.  I don't believe Remington sells a dedicated HD/Tac gun ready made from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The Mossberg 500 / 590 is NOT free of short-shuck jamming issues.  I don't know of any pump that is.

A classic set-up for this type of jam is shooting slugs from the prone position (which also kinda hurts).  Anyway, the recoil force usually has enough energy to work the action far enough to eject the spent round, without the shooter applying much force with his hand on the slide.  However, in many cases the slide hasn't come back enough to release the next round from the magazine, so if you close the action, you've got an empty chamber.  This isn't really a "jam", but when it goes "click" when you expect a "boom", you could be in big trouble.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#19]
My 590a1 is my official Homeland Security implement and realistically my SHTF gun.

She's all that and a bag o' chips.

By the way, I've got a brand new 590/500 folding stock I want to offload if anyone's interested.

Awesome shotgun.  Awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top