Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 7:09:47 PM EDT
I recently picked up an old double barrel .410 and shot it for the first time last weekend. It is an ERA model  (made in Brazil) with two triggers.  The first round (right barrel with the front trigger) goes off every time with no trouble. However, the round in the second barrel (back trigger) fails to discharge 2 out of 3 times. It dents the primer, but doesn’t always go off.  Also, the action is very difficult to open. I’ve had it soaking in penetrating fluid for quite a while, and although there has been some improvement, it is still difficult to open. I should add that this gun was sitting in a crate untouched for about 25 years before I bought it, so it hasn’t been maintained for a long time.  

Does anyone know how I can fix these problems ? Also, any idea how much it is worth ? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If the gun was sitting in a crate for 25 years, thats probably a lot of your problems. More than likely, the left hammer was stored cocked and the hammer spring took a set.

With fired cases in the chambers, fire the right and left barrels and listen to the sound. Do they sound the same?

Also, the left firing pin may be more rounded than the right.

The firing pin may be obstructed. Too much cosmoline or heavy grease.

I would not recommend tearing into the gun yourself. Double barrels give most people fits. Take it to a gunsmith. If you can't find someone to fix it, give me a shout. I can do it.

Value of the gun is probably $300+. 410 double guns are kinda rare and command a premium price, even if its made in Brazil.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Lee. I tossed all of the fired cases, so I’ll have to shoot some more to do your trigger sound test. I'm pretty sure too much grease isn't a problem. The guy I bought it from wasn't real big on firearm maintenance. He just packed it away in a crate without even cleaning it, stored it in a barn attic and then moved.

I realize it’s tough to give an accurate estimate without looking at it, but do you have a ballpark estimate of how much it would be to fix a problem like this ?  Also, Is dry-firing bad in a double ?  

Do you know what might be causing the problem with the action being difficult to open ? I believe it has something to do with the release lever. I have a 12Ga. Ithaca double that opens as smooth as can be with a light push on the lever. With the .410, it takes a great deal of effort to move the lever, and it has to be far to the right before the action will open. However, once the lever is push far over, the action will drop open. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Dry firing a double is bad. That's the fastest way to break a firing pin.

I usually get $50 minimum to go into a double. They can be a real pain and they really are 2 guns.

As far as why is it hard to open, well, it was made in Brazil for starters. You can't compare a Brazilian gun to a Ithaca. It should not be a problem to smooth up and repair it overall.

Thanks,
Lee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top