Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2003 5:37:50 PM EDT
I've been considering swapping my decked out 870 police for a tactical auto-loader.  I'm sure the whole pump versus auto thing has been fought here several times, but lets hear it.  What do you guys think?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep the Police AND get the tact autoloader.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with CC, keep it! Buy the auto and see oif you like it. My iron sighted 870 IS my goto gun %90 of the time.
CH
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep it.  More versatility in ammo, and with rare exceptions, more reliable under adverse conditions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone is right, you NEED both. The 870 is the gun when it is necessary to go bang every time. Auto loaders are for fun. Last time I am going to say this, you NEED several shotguns! They are like golf clubs, you need several. Or ay least that is the story I am sticking to with my wife. MIKE.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple of things to consider:

-You can load almost any pump gun one handed while keeping it on the threat; that's pretty much impossible with almost all self loaders
-True you can fire a self loader one handed until it's dry while you can only fire a pump gun  once...every try and fire any shotgun one handed? This much praised so called advantage of the self loader isn't much of an advantage once you try it a few times.
-less to go wrong on a pump gun; less to remember on a pump gun when your are using it to correct someone else's wrong behavior

just stick with the pump.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Remington autos are load picky. My 11/87 police wouldn't cycle anything but the high brass stuff.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice.  I wish I had the funds to get both, or maybe an M3.  I'd like to hear more from some auto-loader owners who've had reliability problems.  Also, MHPDblue mentioned that it's harder to load an auto-loader while holding on the target.  Why is that?  I thought the loading procedure was the same as with a pump.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I never had any reliability problems with my Benellis as  long as they were fed full power high base loads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like shotguns for defensive use. Yes, they have a purpose in LEO/military circles for things like breaching and non-lethal stuff but carbines are the answer! That being said I've had several 1100s and an 11/87 police that I used for three gun stuff. Remington autos are reliable with loads matched to the gun. The 1100 has a better gas system than the 11/87. KISS! The Benelli crowd will say that the Remingtons are too slow but I had splits in the low .20s with my 1100 at several matches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top