Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2003 8:27:48 PM EDT
Okay I just picked up my first shotgun (NIB Mossberg 500 Persuader) at the gun show this past weekend and I'm already twitching to spruce it up a bit with some aftermarket accessories.

Main question, what laws do I need to keep an eye on before I starting buying crap? Can I put a folding stock on it?

Here's a picture of one exactly like it as it stands... 8 round capacity...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and whatnot...
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Lord, Get a stock that allows you to shoot from the shoulder. After you fire at a fixed target 10 times with the pistol grip you will be bored. MIKE.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd second MIke's advice, then have some fun at the skeet / trap / sporting range.

My theory is once you learn to hit MOVING objects with a shotgun then hitting the stationary ones is easy.....ECS
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
[Elmer Fudd voice] Be vewy vewy careful...[/off]

This is a pre-ban or post-ban shotgun?

I am not really up on all the present laws and I am not an attorney (standard disclaimer B.S.) but I believe that a shotgun manufactured after September 13, 1994 can only have one of the following "evil" features:

Folding/telescoping stock
Protruding pistol grip
Detachable magazine capacity
Fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

It looks like the pictured weapon already has 2 of these "evil" items (+5 mag capacity and pistol grip).  You do know that this instantly turns this innocent pump action shotgun into an unholy instrument of mass destruction.  

You might want to post this in the Legal Section for more advice.

...... Nice looking gun though
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The AWB does not apply to pump shotguns only semi-auto.  So a pump can have pistol grip, +5 shots, folding stock, bayonet lug, detachable mags, anything and everything.

Only issue with this gun, is if it is an AOW "Any Other Weapon".  An AOW can not be shouldered so in other words a shoulder stock can not be added.  It is a way to make short AR's or shotguns, but it must be done with a "virgin" receiver, one that never had a shoulder stock on it before.  And once it is designated an AOW it has to stay that way.

Judging by the length of the gun (looks over 26" already), I would say it is not an AOW, but all you need to do is ask Mossberg.  I can not remember since I am not a Mossberg expert, and I have yet to buy or own an AOW myself.

What is stamped on the gun?

Here is a good example of an AOW shotgun. In my state we can NOT own short barreled shotguns, but we CAN own an AOW

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It's 28" from barrel to the end of the receiver.. 29" including the grip.

The only thing stamped on it other than the serial number is Mossberg and "500A 12 GA"

Thanks for the input/suggestions/help from everyone so far. The only downside to the whole thing is that there are no open ranges to trap shoot. Damn city!

I think I'm going to put on a top folding stock, but then again, I haven't fully decided against a standard stock yet either...
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh that brings back memories.

My first shotgun was the same exact model.

I also recommend a pistol gripped shoulder stock for it and a sidesaddle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top