Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2003 9:42:21 PM EDT
If I take out the wood buttstock on my Ithaca 37 with 20" barrel, and put only a pistol grip on it, doesn't that make the overall length of the shotgun less than 28"? Is that still legal?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, even with 26" OAL, doesn't the pistol grip make the shotgun shorter than that (esp. with an 18" barrel like the Mossberg Cruiser).
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You are forgetting to consider the length of the receiver in addition to the 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, even with 26" OAL, doesn't the pistol grip make the shotgun shorter than that (esp. with an 18" barrel like the Mossberg Cruiser).

The less than 26" OAL doesn't really become an issue with a 18" barrel unless the gun is a single shot or double barrel (SxS or O/U).  That's why the old 'Snake Charmer' .410 single shot had a funky stubby thumbhole stock.  The receiver on a pump, auto or even bolt action shotgun is usually long enuff that a 18" barrel puts the OAL above 26".  I guess if somebody maufactured a pump shotgun scaled to use the Aguilla mini shells only then there might be a problem with a 18" barrel & pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
One little "quirk" where I live (Michigan)...by putting a pistol-grip (only) on a shotgun, it becomes classified as a "handgun", and  must be registered as such.  If you were to buy/sell it, you would have to go through the same process as if buying any other handgun.

Dumb...

--Otter
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats not true. I have purchased multiple Benellis in Michigan with pistolgrips and did not have to register them.  Just the usual yellow forms and out of the store.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Did it have a full buttstock w/ the pistol grip, or just a pistol grip (no buttstock)?  I was referring to just the pistol grip.

And things could've changed since I first moved to MI (about 10 years ago)...

--Otter
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ihave a Mossberg 500 with only the pistol grip and the OAL is just over 30".  More than adequate to be legal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
in michigan a shotgun needs to be 30" to remain a shotgun. IIRC from reading MI law ~10 years ago. if it is shorter it needs to be registered as a pistol. an 18" barrel with a vertical-ish pistol grip is just under 30" on my winchester 1300 defender. one of those more elongated horizontal-ish grips would make the 30".

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
For the MI folks.

MCL 750.222; MSA 28.419, in pertinent part, provides:

'(d) 'Shotgun' means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.

'(e) 'Short-barreled shotgun' means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top