Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 11:25:57 AM EDT
What ammo do you guys like to use in your Benelli M1s that cycles the action reliably?  2 3/4", 3", Federal Tactical loads?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I never had any problem with my Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical cycling with anything Field load or above.  That included Winchester "light recoil" OO buck and Federal "Tactical" as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with Templar.  My M1S90 runs on just about anything field and above.  The only thing I've found that doesn't work at all is that Winchester Super Speed - not enough mass in the load to get the inertia system going.

I've seen other guns with a lot of extras hanging on that won't cycle with less than high brass 4's or 6's.

Side saddles are the most common problem due to weight and folks tend to over tighten the attachment screw and sqeeze the action.

The best thing is get a box or two, try it and if your gun likes it stick with it.  Each time you add something to your gun you need to reevaluate.  

Ryan
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Fiocchi White Rino, 2-3/4" x 1-1/8 oz x 1250 fps cycles my M1 with 7 in the tube, 6 in the side saddle, 2 in the O.S carrier, and 5 on the buttstock.  Winchester makes an equivalent load which I believe is called Super Sport.  For normal shooting I recommend 2-3/4" x 1-1/8 oz min x 3 dram equivalent.  Note 1 1/8 min, this is the important thing.  All buckshot I've tried worked.  Federal Tactical Slugs may not be 100%.  I haven't tried Remington Low Recoil slugs. I use a handloaded 525 gr x 1200 fps slug for competition.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington reduced recoil slugs have cycled reliably in my M1 as well as my friends.  I have a box of Winchester game loads that did not cycle well, yet I have tried a very light federal game load that cycles 100%.  The Winchesters are the only rounds I have had a problem with after shooting about 15 different types of birdshot, buck and slugs.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice guys.  I guess I'll just buy a few types of ammo at the store, go out to the range, and find out what my gun likes to eat.  But at least this will give me a place to start.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top